14.8.10

The Bucket List - Does not appeal

I was over reading this article about the list of things we want to accomplish in our lives. And was surprised to discover there's actual websites where you can keep your lists or goals.

The generic bucket list doesn't really apply to me. Is this really what most people have on their lists? I somehow feel disconnected from normal people now. I think the one on there I'd like to do is live in another country and not go crazy this time. (Although, aside from the insanity, I had a great time in Malawi.) I assume if I wound up in another country, I'd just learn the language.

Here's the stuff I've done off the list:
1. Travel all around the world - Thanks Semester at Sea!
2. Learn a new language - Be your own judge on this one.
3. Try out a new profession in a different field - Does the whole bat biologist to social worker switch count?
5. Run a marathon - Check!
7. Take up a new sport. - I'm counting running as my new sport. As a kid I was in soccer, swimming and gymnastics with brief stings in baseball, softball and basketball. I also played tennis.
9. Learn horseback riding - I did this as a kid.
10. Resign from a job you don’t like - I quit Media Play after working there for two weeks. There was also the time I resigned from the youth program and stayed away from the museum long enough for some healing to occur. Luckily, I've liked most of my jobs.
13. Achieve financial abundance with your passion - What does this mean? I'm leaving it up here.
16. Be a mentor to someone - I'll let my teenager be the judge on this one. I'll remind her that I took her to Dairy Queen last night before I let her voice her opinion though.
17. Learn a strategy game - Bridge!
18. Do an extreme sport – Bungee jump, Skydiving, Parachuting, Paragliding, Ice climbing - Does Caving count? "Is this what it's like to be buried alive?
19. Climb a mountain
20. Give a heartfelt surprise to someone - I think Kelly and I surprised Amanda that time we celebrated her birthday in September instead of the normal time.
21. Make a difference in someone’s life - I'm a social worker. And a mentor.
22. Perform a kind deed to at least 5 strangers without expecting anything in return - Still a social worker.
25. Sing your favorite song to an audience - Thanks Kelly for all those open mic nights!
26. Offer your service to a humanitarian cause - AmeriCorps. Peace Corps. Social worker.
28. Experience a sunset - Again, thanks Semester at Sea for introducing me to the Green Flash.
29. Experience a sunrise - Sunrise steaming into the harbor in Kobe. Niiiice
31. Witness a solar eclipse - I seem to remember lunch at SCPA watching this. Don't stare into the sun!
32. Go stargazing
33. Plant your own tree and watch it grow - You can go to the corner of Reading Road and Clinton Springs Ave in Cincinnati to see several trees I helped plant as a kid. My dad volunteered for the tree board and included me. Thanks!
34. Own a pet (or more if you desire!): - Fish. Plus I used to take care of bats.
38. Get a complete makeover - Did I ever tell you about the time I shaved my head?
41. Be a matchmaker: Introduce your single friends to each other - I did this one time. It did not go well.
43. Go for future education in a different specialization - Again, there was the whole biology to social work transition. I like being a social worker, I don't feel the need to change to make my life complete.
44. Play a (new) musical instrument - Recorder, Saxophone, guitar. At some point, I'd love to learn Piano but not while I live in a condo.
45. Win a lucky draw - I won the Superbowl Pool when I was like 10. Everybody buys a box on the grid, then whoever has the box that corresponds to the last digit of both teams scores wins. Cool.
48. Go on a road trip - One of my favorite things to do. I quite agree.
51. Go swimming with dolphins - Semester at Sea is coming up a lot here.
57. Whip up the best meal ever for your loved ones - It's relevant that I cooked Christmas dinner this year. It was actually fun and a good learning experience since there were only six of us and not the normal army that most people serve.
59. Go deep into the heart of Mother Nature. - Just, Check. Did I mention the caving?
60. See snow (if you haven’t before) - I live in Minnesota! I remember the first time Yarng saw snow though. It was like 11:00 at night and I drug him outside to go sledding.
61. Live through 4 seasons of the year – Spring, summer, autumn, winter - Yup.
62. Read a book on a subject you’d never have thought of reading - That's called school.
64. Fly a kite
65. Fall asleep on grassy plains
67. If you are a non-vegetarian, try out vegetarianism for 21 days and experience it for yourself. - I was a vegetarian for a few years.
68. After that, try veganism - (I try to have several meals per week be vegan, usually four or five. Oatmeal is vegan if you do it right!
71. Conquer your biggest fear - My biggest fear if heights. I understand that fear of heights has a biological basis and is not likely to change. That said, the other thing I used to dread was meeting new consumers at my different jobs. I always wanted a social work job where I could work wit the same people for years just so I didn't have to meet new people. Then I had this internship where every Tuesday I got new clients, new assessments, had to make new home visits, etc. I was snapped out of my dread relatively quickly after that. Thank goodness too because I have much more confidence in my ability to do my job now.
72. Go snorkeling and experience marine life up close - Seriously, a blast. Although Mark learned that boys must shave their mustache for the mask to seal properly.
73. Tell at least 10 people about your bucket list and encourage them to do the same - Blog!
81. Do something completely crazy and out of character - I feel like this has been accomplished in spades. Africa. Shaving my head. Shaving my head again. Moving to Minnesota. Minnesota was the big one.
82. Fly first class - Actually did this on a college trip when we got bumped off an earlier flight.
83. Hit bullseye on a dartboard - This must have been before too many beers.
84. Visit a volcano - Alluetian Islands, Mt St Helens and Mt Hood.
87. Tell your parents (and siblings too if you have them) that you love them. - This is how we end all of our phone calls.
88. Ride a roller coaster - Thanks Kings Island.
89. Go on a cruise in the sea - Yes, you all should. Sea sickness be damned.
90. Try out front-line customer service jobs such being a waiter/waitress for a month just for the experience - Worked in museums and aquariums for most of my natural life.
91. Fall in love - Yup. Got my heart broken too. That should be on this list.
92. Be in love!
94. Do a somersault - Why is this on here?
96. Change the world - Again, Peace Corps, AmeriCorps and, oh yeah, I'm a social worker
97. Help someone in need - I refer you to the above.
100. Go to a costume party and dress up as your fantasy character - I'm counting the Ragnar Relay here.


Here's what's left:
4. Achieve your ideal weight - Working on it, but it's getting harder.
6. Take part in a triathlon - I've actually thought about this. I don't like to bike.
8. Go skiing - Little desire to do this. But I like running after the snow has been cleared.
11. Pursue your passion. - I don't even know what this means.
12. Start your own business doing something you love - Ha, my goal is to never own my own business.
14. Connect with all your teachers from your past schools – college, high school, junior high, all of it. Let them know how they have shaped your life.
15. Identify someone who has inspired you the most in your life. Let him/her know how much he/she has inspired you - I think I've kind of done this, but I'll leave it down here.
23. Write a book on something that means a lot to you - Maybe I should turn my blog into a book.
24. Fly in a hot-air balloon across a country - I wonder how I'd do in a hot air balloon. Fear of heights!
27. Make friends with at least 5 strangers on the street - This is an extrovert's dream. And my nightmare.
30. See the Northern Lights - Can you believe I live in Minnesota and this is on my "yet to do" list
35. Do public speaking in front of 10,000 people - I've spoken before some large groups but none this big. There was the time I was in a band that played for 1500 people (literally) and that was fun as hell.
36. Write a letter to at least 3 of your closest friends to let them know how much they mean to you
37. Throw a mega party - No. Just, no.
39. Learn wine appreciation
40. Join a social etiquette class and further refine your mannerisms
42. Go on a blind date!
46. Take up dancing: Salsa, Line dance, Tap dance, Tango, Ballroom dancing, etc
47. Learn a martial art - Does Tai Chi count? I thought that would be fun to learn.
49. Go backpacking across at least 10 locations - Never been backpacking. Caving is blast though.
50. Pack your bags and set off for a random location with no itinerary planned at all - This is how I felt when I went to Africa.
52. Live in a different country for at least 6 months - That was the plan, until I went crazy. This is one that would be fun. Maybe South Africa?
53. Act in a film (self production or otherwise)
54. Get featured on TV/radio/print/newspapers for an achievement you are proud of
55. Knit a scarf
56. Create your dream home - I created my dream kitchen once. That was a blast and also a nightmare. I love the result though.
58. Bake a cake for someone special - Amanda! This is your job.
63. Volunteer at a hospice - This is too close to my actual job so no. I volunteer on a restorative justice panel which you should all try.
66. Call the customer service (of a service provider you like) just to thank them for the great service
69. Followed by raw veganism. Then conclude which is the best diet for you. - Raw veganism is not the best diet for me. I live in Minnesota and for most of the year, my food needs to be hot.
70. Fold a 1,000 origami cranes and give them to someone special.
74. Go on a meditation retreat
75. Experience an OBE (out of body experience) - Why is this on here? One way to induce an out of body experience, and the only way I've ever had them, is in times of extreme distress. I'll stay right where I am, thank you.
76. Start a social movement on a cause you believe in - I don't feel the need to start a new social movement. But I'm involved in a couple.
77. Watch cherry blossoms in Japan - Sadly, I was there in the fall.
78. Get closure on all your hurt, grievances and unhappiness of the past - Oh, this is just part of the process. We're never done with this one.
79. Bury the hatchet with all the enemies / people you had conflict with in the past or now
80. Organize a picnic outing - Maybe I have done this. I don't know. Why is this on a bucket list anyway?
85. Fly in a helicopter
86. Have dinner with someone you had only dreamed of meeting
93. Get on a romantic getaway
95. Visit a castle in England - England isn't really on my bucket list. Sorry England, I'm sure you're a lovely place to visit.
98. Learn sign language - I've had several friends who can communicate in sign language. (Can you say that "I speak sign language"?) Looks fun.
99. See the Mona Lisa in Louvre (Paris)- I've seen a few other neat things. I'd put the Great Wall of China and the Taj Mahal on here, as well as church service in one of the townships in South Africa. Doesn't matter what religion you are. That's not the point.
101. Gain enlightenment - Again, why is this on here?

No comments:

Post a Comment