15.7.10

Long Run Thursday: I'm sleeeepy

Like the good runner I am, I woke up at the crack of dawn and went out for a long run. July seems early for 18-milers. Was I doing that last year at this time? (Maybe I'll go read last year's posts later to find out.)

The run was basically positive. I checked the mileage points last night and established times I wanted to eat. A nutrition plan was decidedly missing in my last long run. When I was running I decided I didn't want to eat every 3 miles, actually 4 miles was a better fit for me. I also looked at points where I should drink water, I'm trying every two miles which is how the marathon will be.

I did a very good job of relaxing and going slowly, saving something for the end. As you can see from the 'elevation' feature of the map, I did run up a big hill (and then down the other side) around mile 16. I'm trying to embrace the elevation change that will come around, I don't know, mile 20 of the marathon. (Clearly, I'm not totally emotionally prepared for it.) I actually did ok on the hill. I stayed calm, and took one walk break. I slowed waaay down at the end to accommodate the needs of my stomach. (This is how I know I was dehydrated.)

Best parts of the run include:
  • 18 miles!

  • It feels really good to stay that calm during a run. It's relaxing.

  • Dumping a bottle of cold water over my head around mile 14.

  • Dumping a second bottle of water over my head around mile 16. (In retrospect, it may have been better to have drunk that water.)

  • Sopresseta and cream cheese after the run.

  • Eating 1,000 calories before/during the run, plus Chipotle for lunch, and I'm still hungry.

  • Getting on the scale after the run. WIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment