29.4.09

A new dawn may be starting sooner than I think

Well, I've done the unthinkable. Possibly not unthinkable, but at the very least, ill-advised. I mailed a letter today to all of my friends and family, and some loose acquaintances who asked to be included (thank you) giving an update on my progress raising money for Bolder Options. (Look at the sidebar on the right...) If you're reading this blog, there's probably a letter headed your way in the mail (unless you're moving this weekend, in which case it will be hand delivered). Once you get it you'll see that I included my blog address on the letter and invited people to check her for updates on the whole "Liz Trains for a Marathon" bit.

Some of you reading this blog may not have received this letter. And I may not have even asked for your support yet. To anyone in this category, just because I know how to get to your house doesn't mean I know your address. (It's ridiculous, I know. And, I'm including in that, people I've known since the year I moved to Minnesota.) Also, I have until September to raise this money. So I'm sure I'm still planning on asking for your support. But you can always leave a comment here on the blog or shoot me an email reminding me that I have your support and you're an awesome friend.

Now, why is a thank-you, update, come check out my blog letter ill-advised? Well everyone got that letter. And I'm including my parents, grand-parents, aunts, uncles, and even an old professor. So I think I'm going to have to broaden the scope of the little blog here, and possibly adjust the content slightly, just in case the viewing audience does grow. For those of you who don't have your own blog, think of friending your parents on Facebook. That's what I've just done here. (Hi Mom and Dad, glad to have you!)

Since the letters won't get mailed until tomorrow morning, I'm going to do one last linkfest with wise-guy comments my current audience will appreciate.

We'll start with news that rocks:
  • Most of you know I live in the congressional district that elected the first Muslim congressman. (It's Minneapolis. We elected Al Franken too.) My representative's name is Keith Ellison and we're pretty happy with him here. Before he was elected, he did a lot of work on the north side of Minneapolis (read: the poor, drug-infested, gang-infested, all-but-forgotten part of Minneapolis), including some environmental work, which you don't see a whole lot, even in Minneapolis. Congressman Ellison was arrested this week while trying to raise awareness about the crisis in Darfur. Someone said to me, "oh, that'll hurt his chances for re-election". It really won't. (I haven't checked, but I'll bet his approval rating actually went up.) The genocide in Darfur is a serious issue that often gets swept to the side. Thanks for doing your best to keep it front and center.

  • Also, in the slightly-more-liberal-than-Minnesota state of Iowa (wow, whoever thought that's how we'd describe Iowa), same sex marriage licenses are now being issued without any problems. It's not lost on me that Iowa is the first state in the country to hold caucuses for the presidential elections, even before New Hampshire has their primaries. I used to hate that (think we'd have ethanol if it wasn't for Iowa going first?) but now I'm excited to see how President Obama and any potential presidential candidates speak to the issue of gay marriage.

Next up: headlines that rock:
  • Honest, when I first saw this headline I thought it was a story from The Onion but apparently it's for real. I was sad to hear the bear died too.

  • And Awesome sports headlines that don't require knowledge of sports to be funny. A slightly dirty mind always helps though.

Like I was going to have a post and not talk about the Swine Flu:
  • First, get the real information on this one. In Minnesota there's a couple suspected cases (in a little town called Cold Spring, not in the Twin Cities, but they won't be confirmed until testing by the CDC is complete). All my friends and family in New York, you guys stay healthy and I'll be thinking about you.

  • Once you have the facts, a little laughter never hurt. I love this one because I actually take some of the references. (Not all of them. I guess I'm not a true geek yet. Sorry.)

Like to cook?
  • I tend to make some things from scratch. Especially chicken broth once Mark taught me how ridiculously easy it is to do (thanks again). Someone (who is either related to Martha Stewart or has too much time on their hands) decided to see if it's better to make various other foodstuffs from scratch or suck it up and buy them. My favorite is the granola thing. Also, Mark taught me to make some awesome pineapple-coconut marmalade jar of yum one time. I think I'd need a refresher before I made my own but wow was it good.

  • This is self explanatory. I've never done a bacon-cone. Amanda and I have woven bacon, baked it, added potatoes and ranch dressing on top of the bacon-mat and then rolled it up like a tortilla and that was pretty damn good. I can imagine this is equally awesome.

  • If you're not having a heart attack thinking about the bacon mat and the bacon cone, then you're probably healthy enough to have a nice mouse full of coffee (computer mouse, not live mouse, ewwww).


And a bit of randomness to end on:
  • Speaking of friending your parents on Facebook.... Some of you probably know this, but I'm new to Facebook as you also know so I appreciate the tip.

  • Also, in what is a surprise to exactly no one reading this...


    You Are a Ponytail



    You are energetic, laid back, and a lot of fun. You are ready for whatever life throws at you.
    Your idea of style is looking presentable. You prefer simple, well fitting, and neat clothes.
    At your best, you are productive, inspiring, and full of live. You love to be active.
    At your worst, you are hyperactive and frenzied. Sometimes it's hard for you to calm down.

1 comment:

  1. Liz -

    (in numbers, like your recent comment on my blog)

    1) We still haven't sent you a check for the BO marathon. (hehe) I have absolutely no idea where the envelope/paper is. I may need a new one, I may not. There's a bit of chaos, especially paper-related, at the house right now. But, I meant to write out the check a few weeks ago. Do I get points for good intentions?

    2) Parents and FB and blogs. I have been slowly prepping my blog to be FB-friendly, which means extended family, people from high school, etc-friendly. Also, removing the content that might get me fired from work.

    3) Funny that Eric and I watched the Ellison thing the other day and agreed that there was no way this would negatively affect his political career. Not a chance.

    4) Today is my last class! And we close on our house in 24 hours and 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete