1.1.08

Sharing a moment of glory while I avoid cooking dinner

It's not that I don't like cooking. I feel as though I don't have anything I'd like to cook, hence I'm avoiding it, But let me tell you about my day because it was quite exciting.

First, I woke up super later. Not from drinking a lot of beer or a hangover, just from not having to go to work.
Once awake, I feasted on leftover pizza (hmm, that may be dinner tonight too) and watched a movie called Stranger Than Fiction. Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed the movie. It's surprising because I generally don't enjoy Will Farrell movies. Although, I tend to love Emma Thompson movies, and today that instinct won out.

Then, for the really exciting part of my day, I went and dropped several thousand dollars on appliances. No buyers remorse, but I about had a nervous breakdown while I was applying for the Sears card. I need to read the terms of that whole "no interest for one year" deal. See what they're really selling. What did I buy?

After those purchases I walked around the mall for a few minutes to calm down and called my parents. Mom is studying for her comprehensive exams, part of the hazing you go through to get a PhD. I think it's cool she's doing it but she's really nervous right now. Only part of it is test anxiety. There's a whole other thing about writing and essay on the laptop that's freaking her out.

I poked around on the computer a little this afternoon and yesterday. I found the obligatory "Best of 2007" lists and altogether, this wasn't the most impressive year for me. Oooh, maybe I should review my blog posts for the year and put up my favorite one from each month for you to remember. Well, that's for another day. The really neat one I found reminds us of the 100 most interesting, or pointless but good for television, things that we learned this year. I'd like to direct your special attention to points six (Kelly), forty-six, eighty-seven, and especially number fifty (for all my left handed friends).

I'm also wondering how many of you can do the "magic eye" illusions. I had to learn at a young age because I had to prove to my dad I could do it. A pattern that hasn't changed much in my adult life I have to say. Here's some to practice on pic 1, pic 2, pic 3, and pic 4 which is the only one that doesn't have a helpful title for knowing what you're supposed to see. You'll know if you can do it. If you've never been able to before, basically you have to change the focus of your eyes. When we look at the computer screen, our eyes are focusing on something like eighteen inches from our face. When you look up, it takes your eyes a (brief) moment to refocus on looking at things that are far away. To see these pictures, look at the computer screen but focus your eyes like you're trying to see something about ten feet away. Like I said, you'll know it when you see it.

For the ultimate in blogging meem laziness, go ahead and answer the annual question. One post per year is all it takes. It's actually such a thoughtful question, I'm not going to try to answer it yet.

And finally, I have answered the question and successfully joined the two percent of the population who can solve Einstein's Logic Riddle. It took me two tries and a switch from pen to pencil to properly set up the grid. But once I did, I solved the puzzle. I thought it was going to take longer than it did. I love these things because we covered them in geometry (no one knows why exactly) and they were the only thing I was good at or really got into that year. So I remember them fondly. And I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment