21.12.06

3x Thursday

1. Do you believe there's such a thing as a chemical imbalance? Do you think that treating these problems with drugs is a good thing? Why/why not? Ok, someone who usually does these didn't do this weeks questions and I wanted to acknowledge that. I will say from experience that those suicide warnings for young children they put on antidepressants and antianxiety meds, those things are for real.

2. What about drugs for brain-related stuff like depression? Do you think one should be able to get over it themselves, or do you think sometimes we all need a little help, and sometimes we need meds for awhile? This, like number 1 above, is a flawed question. It's using "brain related stuff" to mean the same thing as "chemical imbalance". Those are both phrases that hurt people.

3. Who do you turn to when you have emotional crisis? Why? They know who they are, they also know how to help me. They're also probably reading this right now.

Are you ready to deal with Xmas? Will you be happy or sad when the holidays are over? I can't wait to see Mark. I can't wait to eat the food Mark is going to make. It's good to know the chef.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:00 AM

    I have some thoughts on this, and, well, I missed the meme on my blog.

    1) Yes and yes (with a few reservations). Yes, I believe that certain people have chemical imbalances in their brain that result in thoughts, behaviors, and actions which are not always desirable. And if you are one of those people (like me), drugs are good. However, drugs are not the solution to everything, or right for everyone. This is why doctors are involved.

    2) Just try to actually tell someone who's suffering from depression to "get over it" and see what kind of response you get. I personally would punch you. It's thinking like this that left me feeling tired and depressed for nearly a decade before getting help. Talk-therapy and other types of treatment have not worked for me simply because I already have support structures, etc in my life, and the problem truly is chemical. So drugs are the way to go for me. And I (and those around me) can definitely tell the difference when I take them or when I let my prescription lapse.

    3) For me, this depends on what/who the emotional crisis is about. If it's family, then my friends or my boy. If it's the boy, then friends or family. You get the idea.

    And yes, I'm ready for Christmas. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete