25.1.13

Paper or Plastic?

True story - I almost never carry cash.  I prefer to make my purchases with either a debit card or credit card.  Why?  Because I'm lazy.  My pay check (thankfully) direct deposits into my bank.  I almost never go to the bank or to the ATM because it's just too much work on my end.  The money's on my debit card. I can just go to the store.  Why do I need to make an extra trip for cash?

Where I wish I had cash, or make the effort to get cash ahead of time:
  • The Farmer's Market - The vendors will take EBT cards but I haven't seen any that will take credit cards yet.  (My understanding is it took of logistical work to make sure EBT cards work at farmers markets across the city and I think it's fantastic.)
  • Going out in a big group when I know I'll have to split the tab - Most restaurants are awesome about separate checks.  The bar/happy hour situations tend to get much murkier.  One person orders some food to share.  How do we divide the cost?  And what if I want to leave early and only have a card, but the tables not ready to close out the tab?
  • The No Coast Craft Show - although if this year was any indication, I might not need to make the effort too much longer.
  • Parking Garages - a couple of hospital parking garages (United Hospital - I'm looking at you) are cash only.  Instead of putting up one of those automatic machines and taking credit and debit cards all hours of the day and night, they actually staff those parking booths and only allow cash.  Welcome to 1982.
  • Restaurants that only take cash - These are getting more and more rare.  Ever MayDay Cafe finally started taking credit cards a couple years ago.


Where I typically use plastic:
  • Grocery stores - although my Co-op famously won't take American Express.
  • Gas stations
  • Restaurants - I always put my tip on my card too, becuase I want to make sure the servers claim it as income.  (Your social security benefits will be based on how much money you earn over your career.  You should be thanking me.)
  • Any bills I can set to "auto-pay" options
  • Anything on the internet (obviously)
  • Basically everywhere


Where it gets a little weird
  • Caribou/Starbucks/Etc - What is the deal with the tip cup? If I don't have cash on me for a tip, does that make me a bad customer?  When I go through Caribou's drive through I can't even see a tip cup.  Same for Chipotle.  People who've worked in the industry, please explain.
  • Any place that doesn't like AmEx - just, why?  The whole "they don't take AmericanExpress" thing became relevant in the Twin Cities at the moment Delta bought out Northwest Airlines and we all had to change credit cards to keep getting airline miles.  Delta famously partners with American Express so there was an explosion of AmEx subscribers around that time.  And then we found out all the places we weren't welcome.  Sigh.
  • Places that have a minimum amount to use cards - which is legal now.  (There was a time it was against the rules.)  I run into it sometimes at smaller establishments like family run restaurants.  I guess there was a reason they finally started allowing businesses to set that rule.









No comments:

Post a Comment