31.7.12

Vacation Sunday - Sand Dunes

Sunday morning I woke up in Denver and headed out for a run.  I'd been warned repeatedly that there's little to no oxygen in Colorado and that I should only run "a mile or two" and it would feel like I'd never run before in my life.  To prevent the feeling of death, I did a run-walk program of 90 second running, 30 seconds walking for 20 minutes in a park near the hotel.  Happily, I lived. 

We packed out of Denver on our way to Alamosa and Great Sand Dunes National Park.  We stopped somewhere along the way (I could look at a map and tell you...) and it was an hysterically funny place.  We ate at "All Gon" Pizza and shopped for what I'll loosely call antiques.  The drive was gorgeous.  We passed over a mountain range and stopped in the San Juan Valley.



Great Sand Dunes were fun until it started raining.  We went on a ranger lead hike (Thanks Ranger Sara) and then got out on the base of the dunes.  Lightning scared us back inside the building and ultimately back to town for dinner.










      

No comments:

Post a Comment