11.10.09

Liz Trains for a Marathon: Liz learns about regional differences...

The runners of St. Paul took me out for a short (ha) little run this morning, only 7.5 miles or so. We did my new favorite route around Ft. Snelling. (I am so sick of looking at those lakes...)

On the way back, after the big run up the hill where Beth smoked everyone, we were talking about something that is apparently an issue in Minnesota. I didn't hear the whole conversation because I was gasping for air by that point. But the salient point seemed to be that several of their friends (or perhaps you yourselves) have had an issue with sewer rats crawling backwards up into toilets. One of the runners admitted that her fear was *ahem* being surprised by a rat in the toilet. (How can you not know there's a rat in your toilet before sitting down?)

It just goes to show, where I grew up, everyone's biggest fear is being similarly surprised. By a Black Widow. Or a Brown Recluse. In the outhouse. It's apparently quite easy to miss these little guys in the outhouse and we've all got our own little routines for checking. So, while I live in Minnesota and it's going to snow for the second time in October tonight, at least the creatures that could surprise me will be easier to spot.

The St. Paul runners may never tell a funny story in front of me again....

No comments:

Post a Comment