19.7.09

Linkfest: A Beautiful Sunday

First off, I'm planning a party. Most of it is only planned in my mind right now, but if you're around the afternoon of August 9th, I'd love to have you.

Second, Alberto Contador is Superman. Who saw him climb right up that mountain this morning? Just, wow. (For those of you who don't know, he's a cyclist, and a teammate of Lance Armstrong.) After watching that amazing leg of the race this morning, I went to the Y and worked out. Between the mountain climbers today and watching Beth run up that big hill yesterday like it was nothing, I decided I needed to work on the hills and climbing of it all. So I got on the stair master. The stair master is still pretty hard. But a good workout. Then I did the elliptical. Then I walked a mile. Altogether, I went 8 miles today. Nice.

I went shopping and talked to my parents. For dinner I went to Chipotle with a neighbor and then we hung out in the courtyard talking for a while. Now, I'm surfing the wilds of the internet.

  • For some reason, my current shoes really hurt my calves. I think it could be the way their tied. They have a weird ankle-lock lace that could be too low. But it got me thinking about running mechanics and how we're really meant to run barefoot. I looked at the shoes, and I think I would really like this style. I might give it a try.

  • I'm always interested in education, poverty and equality in different places, mostly because I've traveled so much. Here's a great graphic about how education, especially for women, is the gateway into the rest of society. Equal education is actually a human right recognized by the UN, as it should be. In the US though, poverty seems to be the bigger barrier. Now they're talking about giving underachieving schools longer school years. 'Bout time. 'Bout time for all the schools really but I'll take what I can get.

  • In lighter news, they're getting The Shire ready for habitation. Did you know there's going to be a second movie after The Hobbit. Me neither. I think it could be really good or completely ill-advised. Not sure yet.

  • And finally, this would be my worst nightmare

No comments:

Post a Comment