23.8.08

Our day in Chicago

Yesterday Mom and I went downtown. We took the train in, which is where my learning began. Apparently there is the "L" which is the line everyone knows, probably from watching ER or While you Were Sleeping, but there are also several passenger trains that go from the suburbs into Chicago every day. Ours was a double decker and possibly the longest train I've ever been on.

We walked around downtown and stopped at what can charitably be described as a hole-in-the-wall. It was the Tokyo Lunch Box and Catering. We had a few different things in tempura. It was yummy. And healthy which is something that's always a challenge when traveling.

Next we walked around Michigan Avenue and Grant Park. Did I mention the weather was not so hot? We saw some of the nice gardens in the park. And then it started to rain. Which is when my mom learned that she has a cheap umbrella. One of the metal spokes actually sheared in half. Woops.



After the rain, we decided we should do an indoor activity so we went to the Art Institute. It should be noted this is about the only Art Institute I really go to and enjoy, and even that is pushing it. There was an exhibit of art from Benin (which is a country in Africa) that was really interesting. 10 points to anyone who can tell me the location of Benin without using Google. Some of the exhibits were closed. Apparently summer construction season extends beyond our highways. Here are some of my favorites that I did get to see.




After the Art Institute we had a snack and then went to Millennium Park to see "the Bean". And it's a winner. The Bean is possibly my favorite thing we did all day.




After that we went back out to the burbs to a Japanese restaurant for dinner. And they had seaweed salad. There are no words for my joy. Seriously, seaweed salad is not made out of nori like is used in sushi. I don't know what kind of seaweed it is but it's really good. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. Where did you take the train in from? I feel like I have not prepared you at all for Chicago if you didn't know this! :( Bad friend!

    Um... also curious, does the Art Institute now allow photography? I thought they didn't. Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else, or maybe you were very covert. Hmm.

    When are you coming back? Classes start Wednesday! And the State Fair is on right now! How are you missing it???

    ReplyDelete