4.7.07

The Wednesday Mind Hump

1. Which historical American figure would you most like to be for a day - George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, or Thomas Jefferson?
Thomas Jefferson. He was the founding father I most identified with. He seemed to be an introverted nerd at heart. He loved to read, he invented a few things, he was a great thinker of his time. That seems cool to me.


2. America was born partly with the help of the Declaration of Independence. Now, in 2007, make your own declaration right here.
I declare that Aaron Sorkin should write another television show.

3. To sidetrack from the American theme a bit - Great Britain lost 13 colonies, but there are surely things that can make up for that loss. Name something about Britain that you admire or enjoy.
Prince William, or rather looking at Prince William. He is a handsome young man. I also really like Princess Diana and all the work she did. Elton John, the Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, and all the English speaking places in the world I can travel to because Britain was once an imperial giant. We could go through them from East to West: Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Burma, India, and almost all of sub-Saharan Africa, the British Virgin Islands, and our wonderful neighbor to the north, Canada. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

4. Ok, back to America - what do YOU love about America?
I love the things here that just work, we don't know how they work, and we often complain about paying for them, but they just work. I'm talking about trash collection, libraries, roads, sewage (which I think you'll agree is a big one), clean drinking water, telephone services, broadcasting services, social security (it works right now), the mail, and of course, voting. I always feel like a really cool grown up when I vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment