3.4.13

Quick Cincinnati Vacation - Monday

I woke up nice and early to give Dad a hug and thank him again for the plane ticket home.  Then I climbed back in bed and slept for another couple hours.  Vacation!



Run - I'd toyed with the idea of an eight miler but ultimately settled on six miles because of no water bottles and some time constraints.  The run I did was basically the same as the Christmas Day Run, although I did this one as a nice easy run, totally not caring about pace or time.  It showed..  It was about 40* for the run.  I was in capris, a t-shirt and long sleeve shirt.  Everyone else had hats and gloves.  Southerners.



Skyline - Marge was able to join Mom and I for a quick trip to Skyline for lunch.  Second restaurant overcharge of the trip, although now I'm not so sure.  I can't find the charge on any credit card statement at all.  When the guy couldn't get the bill fixed, eventually I just told him to stop and leave it like it was.  It was only a couple dollars off.

CVG Airport - Was the opposite of MSP.  I walked in at it was all decorated for opening day.  The security guard pointed me to the PreCheck/first class/whatever line, so I went in.  It was me and five TSA agents.  I think they were bored and that's why the guard sent me to their line.  They were nice and obviously I breezed right through security and made it to my gate.


About three minutes later, Delta called me and notified me of a flight delay.  Why?  And then a gate change.  At this moment, the flight originally scheduled for 3:20pm was supposed to depart at 4:15pm.  Maybe I can still make Zumba.  While I was waiting in line to board I met our gate agent, Jen, who noticed my Flying Pig backpack and talked to me about running.  We were all on the plane by about 4:20.  Then we pushed back slightly and sat there for a while.  Then the pilots told us the electrical problem that caused the first flight delay was a problem again and they needed to fix it.


Then we pulled back to the gate and got back off the plane.  We kept having updates and time changes about when the flight would leave.  People kept getting re-booked on other flights since their connections through MSP had been blown.  I was texting like mad with a few friends because I was bored out of my mind.  Finally around 6pm one friend (who used to work for Delta) told me to ask for a meal voucher.  So I went back up to talk to Jen, who was my new best friend by this point.  (We know each others race schedules.)  Jen was hilarious.  They can see McDonald's from the gate.  Ultimately the supervisor refused meal vouchers but gave us another compensation that can be redeemed for cash, flight vouchers or miles.  More than a meal voucher.  Yeah for Jen.

The flight - there was free alcohol and the plane was half empty.  It was a fairly low stress flight once the plane started moving.  We had another moment where we pushed back and just sat there and I was waiting for the pilots to say it wasn't fixed right, but they got their stuff together and we were fine.  I was slightly bummed to see from the sky that the lakes were still frozen and there was still snow on the ground.  Will this winter ever end?  Awesome neighbor came to fetch me from the airport and assured me that no matter what it looked like from the air, the sidewalks were dry and running should be fine.  Thank goodness.


And then when I got home, this was in the mail for me.  I knew I'd already paid off the loan but it honestly took them a while to send me that letter.  Hell yes.



No comments:

Post a Comment