27.4.13

Friday Long Run - Ft Snelling

This is my last long run before my weekend of racing.  It was not confidence inspiring.  Sigh.



Things that went not so well:
  • My pace: I don't know what I expected, but I was disappointed.  I ran the first couple miles (don't ask how I "ran" a 12:56 mile), then went into running 4:00, walking 1:00.  And I ran the long downhill and steep uphill at Ft Snelling.  Perhaps I shoudl've paused the run when I went to the bathroom in mile 8?  That really effed up my average pace.
  • Trying a long run without Immodium.  No more "I'll probably be fine".  Just take the pill like a good girl.  Good news: I did not poop my pants.
  • That arm strap for my iPhone.  The strap got all sweaty and I hate that my phone is without its case.  If I take it out to snap a photo I have to be super careful.
  • Heat.  Remember, it was 30* last week for the 55* today really freaked my body out.  You'd think my pasty white skin would've reflected all that sunlight but apparently not.


Things that went well:
  • Bodyglide: I forgot that on my last long run.  I usually only forget it once a year.
  • The arm strap for my iPhone:  I liked that I could feel the phone vibrating when it's strapped to my arm.  I can't feel it in my pocket or in a race belt.  Relevant because I was using the interval timer app like I will on race day and I liked I could feel it without having to have earphones in.
  • The route: In honor of my upcoming races I actually needed to practice running both up and down hill.  And this route is my favorite of all time.
  • Breakfast - I had muselli in almond milk with a banana and chia seeds.  It was like rocket fuel.  I made myself take a gu at mile four but I didn't want to because I was still full.  I had to, there's not another good place for a long time.  I took another Gu at mile nine but it just made me want to pule.  See above about the heat.
  • Running without music - it's my new thing now.  I almost never run with music outside any more.  The track and treadmill other different cases.  Outside I just listen to nature and the sound of my own awesomeness feet.
  • Up big hills - you know I ran all the way up the sucker.  I'm now taking the Running Beth approach read: Mountain Goat of go up as fast as possible to get it over with.


No comments:

Post a Comment