14.1.13

Ab Workouts for Runners

I did this workout yesterday and now I can't move.  Serious.  It hurts when I sit up.  It hurts when I lay down.  It hurts when I sneeze.  On the upside, it feels great when I run.  Running is more about the core than you'd think at first.  When I went out for my mile at the end of the day, my abs were all "hey, we've been used recently, we're nice and strong" and I could feel them working it tonight.  Tonight's run was cold and dark.


The workout I did yesterday is a finisher.  It can be done on its own after a short warm-up, or it can be done at the end of a workout.  The three exercises are:
  • Mountain Climbers - Count only when your right foot touches.
  • Pilates Roll Up which is like a situp with more direction and safer for your back and neck.
  • Goblet Squat or a Wide Squat.  I did not use weight because I'm not a body builder.

To do the Finisher at the end of a workout, start with 10 of each exercise (that's 10 mountain climbers, 10 roll ups, 10 squats), then do 9 of each, all the way down to 1 of each.  Do the exercises for time.  It will give you a total of 55 of each exercise.

To do the Finisher as its own workout (after a reasonable warm up people, no injuries): Start with 20 of each exercise, then 19 of each, then 18, etc all the way down to 1 of each.  Do the exercises for time.  (It took me around 28:00 because the sit ups killed me.)  This will give you a total of 210 of each exercise.

Then, let me know how you feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment