16.10.12

A Food Bucket List?!?

These people Made a food bucket list, to which I'm having a strong reaction.  (WTF?)  Also, apparently I've eaten too much food in my life.  Only 14 to go.

Here's where I am on the list, comments only next to the food I haven't eaten.
1. Huevos Rancheros - surprisingly no.  I get too distracted by Corn pancakes at Maria's to try anything new.
2. Eggs Benedict
3. Baba Ghanoush
4. Oysters
5. Escargot - I don't think so, but I wouldn't swear to it.  I'm sure I ate tons of slugs as a kid before I knew better, but that doesn't count.
6. Gumbo - also no.  I can see the tomatoes from here.
7. Chicken Tikka Masala
8. Balsamic Vinegar (WTF?  Who hasn't had that?)
9. Cheese Fondue
10. Papusas
11. Black Truffle
12. Fugu - so not on my bucket list
13. Goulash - I don't think so
14. Fried Green Tomatoes
15. Latkes
16. Sauerkraut - Just no.
17. Hot dog from a New York Street Cart - my bucket list is all "Cheese Coney from Skyline" and I'm all "hell yes I am"
18. Hangi - what?
19. Ethiopian Cuisine
20. Turtle Soup - haven't had this one, and exactly no one is surprised
21. Stuffed Grape Leaves - tried and hated
22. Peking Duck
23. New England Clam Chowder
24. Crab Cakes in Baltimore - oh stop being fussy about "in Baltimore" 
25. Authentic Vietnamese Pho Soup
26. Osso Bucco - veal?  Boo!
27. Cuban Sandwich - also not on my list
28. Pastrami from Katz in New York - again, go away with "it's only Pastrami if it's from this one place and you have to go on a Tuesday 'cause that's when the good butcher works"
29. Paella
30. Octopus
31. Prawns
32. Dim Sum
33. Beluga Caviar - when I hit the lottery
34. Tapas
35. Falafel
36. Ikura
37. Pierogi
38. Something I've grown
39. A fish I've caught myself - I don't fish.  Go away.
40. Baklava
41. Pistachio Ice Cream
42. S'mores - had them, hate them because I have a marshmallow issue
43. Red Velvet Cake
44. Marzipan
45. Beignet
46. Macaroons
47. Sprinkles Cupcakes - it's only a real cupcake if you go to LA, no other baker in the entire world could come close to this experience.  Oh?  You were serious?
48. Churros
49. Raw sugar cane
50. Indian (Asian Indian) desserts

As I made the list I realized a startling number of these items fell into three categories. 
  • "Food I ate becuase my cousin is a chef and I'll eat anything he makes me, even tomatoes".  Paella, prawns, marzipan would be some.
  • "Food I ate because I did a study abroad/peace corps/etc".  Chicken Tikka Massala, Octopus, Peking duck, Pho, Raw sugar cane - which is not that good - all fall into that category.
  • "Food I ate because I work/live/am friends with people who from different countries and cultures" including churros, papusas, pierogies, latkes, Ethiopian and Indian cuisines to name a few.


Some other thoughts:
  • Ceviche?  Shame on your for missing it.  It should be number 1.
  • Osso bucco is the only Italian thing on here?  I cry foul.
  • How about a bucket list for vegetarians?
  • There's ostensibly no fruit on the list that I can find.  A good mango?  Passion Fruit?  (Passion Fruit!)  Strawberries and Cream (breakfast at Wimbledon), baked apple, give me something.  No wonder we're all so fat.
  • There's not really any veggies other than Fried Green Tomatoes (and possibly sauerkraut?).  How about Greens and ham hocks (southern style)?  Kentucky string beans?  Raddichio?  An actual artichoke, not just the heart?  Anything.
  • With the "traditional Vietnamese Pho" thing, I'm surprised a few other cultures weren't recognized with a signature dish like Pad Thai, Beef Wellington, Arroz con Pollo (which is not to be missed) or "Singapore Noodles" (actually called that in Singapore too).



No comments:

Post a Comment