4.8.12

Vacation Sunday - Cub Lake and driving, driving, driving

Because I have special powers, I convinced Qat Lady that it'd be a great idea to be up and out of our rooms in time to catch the 6:30am hikers shuttle into the park.  That way we could squeeze in one more hike before we left town.

We caught our shuttles and headed out on the Cub Lake Trail, the one I didn't get to complete the day before.  Turns out, I'd only seen the flat part and the trail map reporting a 500ft elevation gain wasn't joking.  The hardest part of the hike was up that 500ft over the last 3/4 mile or so.  The up wasn't as bad as being in a dry creek bed scrambling over all the rocks.  The sight at the top was great though; the only lake in the park with lily pads.  Animals seen on this trip include chipmunks, marmots, a gang of elk, and a snake.  Bonus points for me being calm when I saw the snake and taking a picture instead of jumping out of my skin.





















We took one last trip to the Gift shop and got some parting souvenieres. Then we headed out of town to our next stop: Wall South Dakota.  Wyoming gets the surprise distinction of "most boring place to drive on the planet" handily beating out both Nebraska and South Dakota for the title.  Nebraska kept me awake because the whole state was under construction and when your state is 400 miles long, that shit's impressive.  South Dakota at least promised me Jackalope or dinosaurs and free ice water at every exit.  We got into South Dakota in time for dinner at the only sports bar in the state that doesn't have buffalo burgers and we got to our hotel just before 10pm. 

Road kill!



Wyoming



Sunset in South Dakota

  




      


No comments:

Post a Comment