4.7.12

How to Work Out in the Heat

It's super hot here.  Like record breaking and miserable.  (Sorry Texas.  We're wimps up here I guess.)  I even considered not going to fireworks tonight.  But I did need to get in a workout today.  Since I slept in and then watched the Tour De France, that meant I was going to be having a workout outside.  In the middle of the day.  In the heat.

Some things to remember for working out in the heat:
  • Find shade.  Stay in the shade.
  • Be as close to naked as legally possible.  It's 100*; this is not the moment to be dainty.
  • Find water or take it with you.
  • A little ice down your bra never hurt anyone.  You think I jest.
  • Slow the pace and/or take longer breaks between intervals.
  • Chills are probably a bad sign.
  • Work out close to home.
  • Cool the body down when finished.  A jump in the lake or pool is an excellent method to stop your body from cooking.


For my hot workout, I did two quick hard workouts in the heat and then a long moderate workout in the pool.  

Eleven  This was a modification of a "21" workout.  I did 11 instead of 21 becuase I had a second workout in mind.  It works like this:
And so on.  Walkouts are harder than they look.  I thought about starting with 21, maybe on a cooler day or inside.  It's good to have goals.

The Finisher is something I learned in Circuit.
  • 10 squat jumps followed by 10 Push ups (I do girl pushups)
  • 9 squat jumps followed by 9 push ups
You get the idea.I took breaks between some of the longer intervals, the 10, 9, and 8 ones.  Then I started doing a few intervals together before taking a minute break.  (It's hot, I needed to bring my heart rate down.) My newest playlist addition (and how did I ever miss this one?) helped me get through the end here.  Who else knows Nelly - Warrior?  Total winner.
  
Pool running was not nearly as intense as would normally happen on a Wednesday morning at the gym.  I spent an hour running in the pool.  It was a more steady, slightly slower pace than High Intensity Water Running class.  (I know becuase I was able to keep a conversation and not gasping for air like normal.) Also different from class is that I took no breaks, the entire time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment