15.7.12

The Best Headphones for Running and Working Out - a Review

I've been having ongoing issues finding the right pair of head phones for working out.  Am I seriously the only girl in the world who sweats and then the ear buds get all wet in my ear?  Ewww.  I have some information for those of you seeking the perfect pair.

The earbuds I've tried over my running career are:
Here's my annoyances, complaints, and loves about headphones:
  • Fit - ones that fit are good; ones that pop out of my ears are bad.
  • Crazy long cords - are super annoying; all they do is bounce around.  I hate bouncy cords.  They're visually annoying and the cheap ones make that cord slap noise.
  • Two part cords are only slightly better.  I've never run across a two piece cord design that made sense.  The short cords are always just long enough to clip an iPod Nano on my collar which is awesome until you realize that my collar is the first line of defense in all the sweat that I produce when I work out.  Awesome.  Seriously, make it long enough to clip onto my sleeve.  
  • Clips - if you're going to insist on a crazy long cord, at least give me a clip to attach the middle of the cord to my shirt. 
  • Cord tangle - light cords are great because they're quiet and don't flop around, but they tangle like no other
  • Sweat - all these things say they are "sweat resistant" and I don't seem to be able to break them but I hate it when sweat gets in my ears with the ear buds.
  • Noise isolation/cancelling etc - I have mixed emotions on this one because I like to be able to hear cars and people when I run outside but I love to shut you all out at the gym.
  • Durability - I beat the crap out of these headphones.

In order of my owning these headphones, and also in order of expense -
 
Sony MDRE9LP - the old school items that I had when I started running.  They fit me but were definitely a "one size" kind of deal.  The cord was crazy long, and it was with these that I developed the method of wrapping the cord around my bra strap to prevent cord flying, slapping and tangling.  I still use this method but that's a different blog post.  For sure there was no clip.  I don't remember the "sweat in my ears" issue.  They did not have noise isolation/cancelling (they're like $8 at Target, what'd you expect?)  I feel like these were fairly durable and I beat the crap out of them in heat and cold.

 
Sony MDR-J10 Headphones - I've owned two or three pairs of these, and still have one in working order.  The little hook around my ears is really nice and keeps the earbuds in place.  I usually run with a bandana and that holds the hooks down as well.  Everything I said about the cord (length, stupidity, etc.) for the little ear buds goes for these guys too. 



Apple iPod Earphones have always fallen out of my ears for any kind of activity.  There's no point judging them on any other merits if they wont stay in my ear long enough to enjoy.  Sorry guys.



Nike HJ030 Vapor Sport Headphones were a brief flirtation with anything other than Sony.  They fit well.  That metal hook was actually pretty comfortable and locked those things in place.  It also had a two part cord (thank you), although I usually used both pieces.  The cord was thinner so more prone to tangling.  Ultimately these were the least durable of any of the many many earbuds I've tried.  That hinged hook that held the earbuds in place broke much sooner than I thought it should've.  The earbuds can't be used without that piece as they're super heavy and fall out.



Sony Active Style Earbuds - apparently I learned my lesson and went back to Sony.  These things have a two part cord and were also my first experiment with noise isolation.  When they say "noise isolation" what they mean is "this piece of rubber is like a suction cup in your ear - except it will let sweat in".  The cord is super tangley.  Like I wanted to give my pocket a boy scout badge in knot tying for the crap it produced.  When not in knots, these things fit super well and I was able to figure out how to place them in my ear to still hear traffic when I'm outside.  I have some reservations about the durability of these because the connection of the two piece cord is starting to erode, perhaps becuase I use it to work out and it gets covered in sweat.  (How did you not see that coming?)  These were also the first earbuds I had that would get covered in sweat and seal the little sweat beads in my ear.  Gross.  That said, these may be my favorites on the list (which could change if I could ever get this last pair to fit right). 



MeElectronics Sound Isolating Earbuds - I took a chance on these because I read a good review and they were wicked on sale at Amazon when I bought them.  They have six different ear bud ends to ensure a perfect fit.  I haven't found the right one yet.  Serious.
These are the five sets I'm not using; the one I am using goes in between the one on the right and the pair second to the right.
They are noise isolating and prone to the sweat goo issue as well.  (Maybe I should just go back to the cheap $8 ear buds and be done with it?)  These win for having a cord that is impossible to tangle (I've tried, I assure you) and for having a clip on the cord so I'm not tying it in knots around my sports bra.  I haven't owned these very long.  The only comment on durability I have is that they get full of my sweat and continue to work.

Runners, bikers, and everyone else - what earbuds do you use when you work out?  Do you have the perfect pair?

No comments:

Post a Comment