21.5.12

Monday Marathon Training - Never too early for a long run

Monday is long run day in the Lizzo house.  Remind me why I'm doing this again.

I woke up around 5am (oy) and headed out for 12 miles.  My goal was to pace myself correctly for nine miles and then do the last three miles as intervals.

It was basically a good run but it started out rough.
Mile 1 - why so slow? Be patient!
Mile 2 - whatever
Mile 3 - I think I'm going to puke.  Seriously?!?  It's only mile 3.  It's going to be a long run.
Mile 4 and 5 - stomach calms down.  Thank you.
Lake Street Bridge - Seriously, you have to eat.  Just risk it.  But my stomach was fine for the rest of the run.
Mile 6 also known as the big hill - No problem!  Yeah for hip flexors.
Miles 7 and 8 - turning on the speed.
Ford Parkway Bridge - nice and easy.
Minnehaha Falls - Oh shit!  Literally.  So I found an, um, place for that.  Even had toilet paper and hand sanitizer.  (A heartfelt thanks to the Minneapolis Park Board for rocking it so hard.)  Followed by possibly the scarriest sound ever: the big truck that comes to sanitize these things.  While I'm in there.  Hurry!  That may have been the fastest thing I did on the entire run.
Miles 9-12 I did, in fact, run walk the rest of the way home.  I used city blocks to set the intervals.  When the blocks were downhill I ran more of them in a row. 
The entire run looked like this:
 
I can't decide if that dip in the middle is where I stopped to eat or where I slowed down to walk at the top of the hill.  I'm honestly not sure.

It was a really nice day for a run.  It was cool, around 50* when I started and super sunny.  I saw tons of runners and also tons of cyclists.  The river roads are super popular for cyclists, both for entertainment and for transportation to work or school


Last thing I see on my run: No problem.


The Qat Lady called me in the middle of the day and we went out for lunch.  I was able to take a long lunch from work in anticipation of working like 12 hours on Thursday.  My job rocks!  It's only one day of the year.  Whatever.

The Qat Lady was horrified by my story of being, um, locked out yesterday so she insisted on a trip to Target.  She got me the Master "Speed Dial" Lock because she never wants me to have this experience again.  Hilariously, she got it uber-locked while she was trying to set it for me.  Awesome.  After she fixed it, she drove it by my office with one of the nicest things she's ever given me:

I mean, I totally belong on this list, but I still appreciate the recognition.  It's hanging on my bulletin board at work so everyone else will know that I'm a nice person.

I had a few minutes to talk to Grandma today, whom I was missing for some reason.  Her big 90th birthday is Friday.  She was a little nervous to have the big party so far ahead of her actual birthday.  To celebrate, she had two teeth pulled last week.  That's one way to do it I guess.

Pilates was a super relaxing treat.  It was a substitute teacher that I'd never had before.  She was nice and did lots and lots of stretching.  Awesome.  It's really the way to end the day after the long run. 

I don't think I'm going to get to watch the series finale of House tonight so no one tell me if Wilson dies. 

In the mean time, here's what's blaring on my iPod at the moment:



No comments:

Post a Comment