23.1.12

Runner-sicle with a hint of frozen eyebrows

I totally meant to go for a run or a have an otherwise killer workout yesterday.  I took four naps instead.

Today I woke up, ate breakfast and had my first (so far my only) nap of the day.  Around noon I woke up in earnest and checked the weather.  Everything said "freezing rain" except the radar was bare.  And it was in the 20's. 
See how it shows rain in those pictures?  Now look at the radar below.  There's no rain there.  Who's right?  Radar apparently is not capable of showing air so humid it's basically liquid.



Inside my head I thought:

  • I could go inside to the gym and do some sprints and then maybe get on a bike or row.  But it's the gym.  In January.  It doesn't matter what time it is; it will be hell.
  • I could go outside and see Lake Harriet.  It's cold and supposedly wet and I'll be out for a while so there's always the risk of frost bite.  There will be no bathrooms and no water.
 
This is the worse game of "Would You Rather" ever

Obviously I chose running outside because even hypothermia sounds better than braving the gym. 

The whole "freezing rain" thing was mildly true.  I think they really meant "it's so damn humid if you move you'll get condensation on you and then it will freeze" which turned out to be more true.  I also failed to look at the direction of the wind and so ran around the cold side of the lake last.  (When do we ever get wind from the east?)

It was a "long" run in the sense of "I'm running, it's cold and I'm out of shape" but basically a good time.  I try not to look at my time when I run in the snow or on crap like this because I think it's discouraging and somewhat inaccurate.  I had a couple of stops for street lights, pictures, and to get emotionally prepared to run up that last damn hill.
 Lake Harriet - the wind blew the snow around so much I had a good view of the ice underneath.  It was finally frozen solid and some people were walking on it but I didn't stop to play.
My Lake Harriet route along the other Greenway.  (Everyone knows the first Minneapolis Greenway but no one has heard of the Greenway along 40th street.  That's fine; more room for me.)
I have no idea why Nike+ thinks I ran 9.5 miles.  Optimism.  It was actually 7.4 miles or so.  I've never bothered to calibrate the sensor but maybe I should try it some time.

When I got home much of me was frozen.  The rain on my coat had actually frozen and formed a protective barrier against the wind.  Awesome.  The ice that condensed on my eyebrows was another story.  (Totally need to pluck...)

Best songs from the run:


No comments:

Post a Comment