20.11.11

New 'running log' and (hopefully) losing more weight

Here's a look at the one I used for the 2010 Twin Cities Marathon.  The one I used for 2011 was pretty similar only I kept a weekly average of my weight as well.  For Dublin 2012 (oy), I'm changing it up. 

I'm breaking my 'miles' down into running, walking and elliptical.  For the past three years I've done all three kinds of workouts and counted them towards my miles.  Because of the heat this summer, the elliptical played a big role in some of my longer mileage.  (I think that hurt me in the end.)

I'm also tracking my cross training, something I've tried before and failed at miserably.  It helps this year that I have a cross training plan (it's called Circuit Class and Pilates).  I'm tracking the type of cross training and the minutes of cross training.

In addition to my weight, I'm tracking my calories on this log too.  I tracked my calories in my 2010 training for almost the entire training.  I lost about 15 pounds and plateaued my weight loss right around the taper for Twin Cities Marathon.  I don't know if I can really make myself track calories for the next year (literally).  I am going to see how long I can make it work.

Calorie-counting: I'm back on the bandwagon.  For those of you who haven't tried calorie counting, here's my thoughts (and why I decided to try it again)



On the positive side:
  • A calorie is a calorie.  100 calories of bacon is not judged different than 100 calories from a banana.  No "you can't eat that".  Only portion control.
  • I found some really good, lower-ish calorie foods the first time I tried this.
  • It helped me understand what I was eating and what filled me up for a lower 'calorie cost'
  • It helped me understand if I took a second helping or splurged on potato chips, just how bad (or not that bad) the damage really was going to be.
On the challenges side:
  • When I cook at home, I have to measure and weigh everything.  (Go buy a kitchen scale.)  Putting butter on toast?  Measure it.  Pouring cream in your coffee?  Use a measuring spoon.
  • It's impossible to accurately count calories when someone else cooks for you.  To make it work I try to breakdown the ingredients I'm eating.  It works for things like sandwiches (two pieces of wheat bread, 4 slides of turkey breast, etc) but not so much for things like "sweet potato casserole" where everything's all as one and I can't see the recipe.  Sometimes I just have to guess
  • It's impossible to accurately count calories at restaurants.  Most of the bigger chains do have their calorie information online, but the little local restaurants around here - not so much.
  • It's hard to count calories of snacks and fingerfoods I eat throughout my day.  (Some people would use this as a tool to stop eating that crap.  Whatever.)


For those of you still interested in calorie counting, there's a few ways to do it.  The "old fashioned way" of just writing everything down on paper is always a possibility.  Write what you eat, how many calories and do math.  For those of you with internet, smart phones and ipods:

  • Lose It is my personal favorite calorie counting app.  It started as an iPhone/iPod app and has moved over to Android as well.  There's a webpage you can visit if you want to see the pretty graphs on a normal size screen.
  • My Fitness Pal is pretty popular. I tried it and would have liked it but I was already married to Lose It and didn't want to re-enter my entire food and recipe library into a new program.  I became a beta tester for the Android version of Lose It to avoid that issue.
  • The Daily Plate (from LiveStrong) is another popular app that some friends have tried.  I've never used the app but I have searched the site when I needed calorie counts for things like "sushi rolls" and other random foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment