21.9.11

Hill Run with Beth

The conversation went like this:

Me - want to run tomorrow?
Beth - I have to go from the JCC at 7:20 (instead of 5:30am)
Me - Okay.


The last time I ran from the JCC, I learned the wild hill route that starts with the Davern Hill.  Yes, that profile is accurate.  It's really that steep.


Looking back, I'm glad I didn't know what was coming because it was a really challenging route.

This morning I proposed a different route with a much less dramatic profile.  Or so I thought.


I'm all "let's just run the longer, less steep way up the hill and then run back down".  And Beth was totally okay with giving it a try.  She made me work.  We have very different strategies on hills.  Hers is a variant on "the faster you run the faster you're done" and mine is "slow down and try not to have a heart attack before the top of the hill". 

Beth knows I love running down hill so she picked up the pace on the way down.
 I think that may be the first 10-minute mile I've run in my life.  Mile 3 was on track to be that fast too but we saw a friend (Other Beth) and stopped to say hi.  I was all worried about myself (why is this so hard?) until I got home and looked at how fast Beth had me running.

I had a great time.  The bonus was not having to get up at 5am and still being able to run with someone else.  Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment