7.6.11

Running Melting in the Heat Update

It's hotter than blue blazes here.  Is that clear?

Hottest day since 1988 - I actually have a memory of how hot it was that summer; I hope this doesn't last as long as that did.

Saturday I had a great long run with "girl the other girl met at the bar" who now really needs a better blog name.  She wanted a flat-ish route which is more possible from my house than hers so she came over.  We headed out on this route; the same one where Beth showed her friendship for me a few weeks ago.  I was quickly reminded that I need to run my own pace, not get excited and go faster because I have company.  11 miles is a long way, just relax.  I was also reminded that it's hot and there's very little shade on that route.  It was a very nice run and I had a blast. 
Afterwards, I headed over to Richfield farmer's market where a bacon purveyor had been recommended by my pooky bear.  I picked up pepper bacon and then I went and got a steak (best post run meal ever!) and stayed home the rest of the day.
Flowers in my courtyard.  Irises remind me of my mom because she always liked the Van Gogh Irises.

Sunday was the Grand Old Day 5k which was a race Team:Work had picked out.  Apparently the plague hit Team:Work because only person besides me was healthy enough to run.  The St Paul runners did show up so we combined "running teams" before the race.  (That means I had lots of company at the starting line.) 

Since I'd done a long run the day before (and it was still hotter than blazes) I decided to pace my Team:Work teammate for her time goal instead of trying too hard myself.  Here's what I know about pacing: "Slow down!"  "Trust me, it's not time to go that fast yet!"  "Slow down!" and then at the end "Now go!", "Kick!".  I have no idea if I'm a good pacer or not, or if I'm in any way encouraging (who would be encouraged by hearing "slow down" in a race?) but teammate nailed it.  Her goal was 41:00 and her official time was 39:50.  (Also, I paced her without a watch.)

It's totally that kind of race!
 
Teammate actually had to leave after the race but I got to stay and watch the parade with Running Beth and her family.  (There was a bouncy slide and a happy five year old.)
It did look like a fun slide. 

It was that kind of parade too!

Monday I thought about going to the gym.  That was as close to exercise as I came.

Today I got off work early (yeah for Jewish holidays) and did head to the gym.  I did an hour on the elliptical.  The track is off limits while the basketball courts below it are being resurfaced.  (Something about dust and toxic fumes...)  It's tripple digit temperatures right now but tomorrow the high is supposed to be 80* and the overnight low into Thursday will be around 50*.  I'm thinking long run Thursday morning.  This week the plan is 14 or so miles.

1 comment:

  1. So... did you try the bacon? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete