14.6.11

10.8 Miles of insanity FUN!

It seemed like the best thing I could possibly do today was to wake up at 5am (pray for no rain!) and go run 10.8 miles around Ft SnellingWhy did this seem like a good thing to do?  I have no idea but it was, in fact, fantastic.  I was having another day of just wanting to go long and hard even if it does lead to an eventual bonk.


I really really missed my Ft Snelling route, as it's been under water most of the year.  It hasn't been good for training on long runs becuase I'm to the point where I need even more miles than this route holds.  Crazy, I know.  Last night I had the thought, "you know, 10 miles will only take a couple hours.  If I got up early enough, I could still make it to work on time."  (This is so not healthy.)  Plus I didn't run yesterday so I had the miles to make up.

I got up at 5am and packed two water bottles, one Gu and some sour patch kids and headed out.  True to form, I did have the urge to RUN hard and fast.  (This can't possibly be right.)  Especially during that 1.5 mile 'down hill' section.  (Ask me now how I feel about the up hill section.)

I had an, um, similar issue to the last run and made a stop before leaving Minnehaha Park.  However, a few miles later, said issue returned and I finished the run at what I have heard referred to as "the poop pace".  (Every runner has one.)  I made it home safe and sound.  I'm not sure if it was my running harder and longer than normal leading to this issue or if it was something I ate.  I'm thinking, maybe both?

The rest of my day was spent working and watching my iPods crumble in front of me.  My little iPod Nano (which is four years old almost exactly) did fine on the morning run.  And then started freaking out after thirty minutes later when I synced it.  It just turned itself on and off and tried to keep syncing.  On the way to work it kept restarting.  WTF? The iPod Touch (I will never call it an iTouch) is destroyed after taking it's second swim in an ice bath.  (The first swim it took last year did no damage.)  Now it just wants to be restored to factory settings, but wont let itself be restored because it wants me to type in my passcode, but it wont show me the home screen so I could type in the passcode...  Destroyed.  Right now I'm syncing my phone (Android, it's just not the same) with some of my playlists so I have music to listen to on the way to work.  (It's just not the same.)  I also still have my original iPod which got much less use once Nano and iPod Touch came along.

At the end of the day, Amanda proved once again she is an awesome friend by putting aside her own food cravings (something fried... anything) for my own (Punch Pizza.  Carbs and salty meat.)  We had a nice dinner.  It was packed because apparently wine is the same price as soda this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment