5.3.11

Land of 10,000 Puddles

Saturday morning brought the sobering realization that I hadn't been grocery shopping and had no food for breakfast.  Luckily I wasn't really hungry so I had pretend food and called it good.  Don't ask.

The forecast called for clouds all day, but the temperatures were supposed to be much closer to freezing than they'd been most of the week.  Remember the second day of March when it was -10*?  Once I opened my curtains (well after breakfast) I realized the 'clouds' portion of the forecast was completely incorrect.

Around 2pm I headed out for what I meant to be a 5 mile run.  (Where the hell can I go that will be five miles and not suck due to snow and ice?)  Ultimately it turned out to be about a 7 mile run, thrilled that I didn't die somewhere around mile 6.  I actually didn't realize how long it was until I got back and measured on a website.

I went on side streets around Lake Hiawatha to Minnehaha Parkway.  The Parkway was actually the biggest suckfest of the run because it was the only part I had to be on sidewalks that were shoveled by homeowners (the other sidewalks on this route are city park responsibility).  There were some big iceflows and some big puddles.  BIG.  I headed by Minnehaha Park and decided to stop and turn around when I got to the river.  (Who knew it was that far away?)

On the way back, instead of taking the parkway I took the actual Minnehaha trail which is maintained by the city.  Hilariously the first part of the trail was basically only groomed for snowshoeing.  (Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what 'groomed for snowshoeing' means.)  So I was back in the road for another little while but the road was nice and clear so I was fine.

I had a couple moments of "oh, that's a new song on my iPod.  Nice."  The best surprises were Forever Young - Rod Stewart which always reminds me of being on this bus near the Vietnam/Cambodia border and It's a New Day - Will.i.am which made me think of the most recent presidential election and my current life.

I wished I had my camera on the run. The creek is starting to melt.  Between the ducks (not even the stupid Canada Geese but actual ducks) and the sun glinting off the water, it was gorgeous.

I looked like a crayola crayon today.  There's just no other description for it.  It's a nice yellow hat though.

I'm wearing my new shoes.  There's no good words for exactly the degree of PINK they are.  I assure you, this photo doesn't quite do them justice.

After running I headed over to see my pooky bear.  She took me to Target so I could run errands (meaning so I could get Diet Pepsi) and then we headed over to Chili's so she could kill her gift card. A good time was had by all.

Not all of that alcohol is hers.  Apparently classic margaritas are always (meaning "every time we go") a two for one special.  Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment