5.9.10

A run I should try to remember, but I'd really rather forget

Today was my last 20-miler before the marathon and my training schedule said do 22 or 23.  Originally I'd planned just over 21, but it was going to require an extra bit of Lake Harriet at the end.  Through some interesting running, I did the extra bit of Lake Harriet earlier in the run and made the run 22.75 miles.  Ooops.

It was not a good run.  (Last year's last long run was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to write about it.  I'm experiencing a similar sensation.)  Here's how it went:

500am - wake up gently.  Pack food.  Find reflective gear because it's still dark outside.

530ish - go for a run.  It was really dark on some of the side streets in the beginning.
Lake Hiawatha - oh, look, this is where ALL of the Canada Geese in the whole state sleep.  They're all still asleep and I'm out here running.

Lake Nokomis - I'll run around the lake opposite of how I usually do so I can be on the bridge for sunrise.  Phenomenal.  The fish were jumping.  Mist was rising off the lake.  Other than the fish, water was still as glass. 

Minnehaha Creek - one of my favorite places to run. I felt like I started running too fast but looking at my pace I wasn't.  It's hard to tell from my iPod.  The path under 35W is paved.  (It's the only thing under 35w that is paved.)  The path on the other side of Lyndale has been blocked to repair a pedestrian bridge over the creek.

So I was delighted to find all the gates open and nothing blocking my once normal path.  Until I got to the bottom of the hill and most of the way through what was clearly still a construction zone that some goober left open for the holiday weekend.  And found the fence on the other side that hadn't been left open.  I climbed it.  And cut both hands in several places.

Lake Harriet - I'll just run the second lap now because later it'll be crowded.  That lake is always the most crowded of the three over there.  At the top of the lake after my second (sort of) lap, I checked the time and refilled my water bottles.  And didn't even remember to give myself some time for climbing the fence.

Lake Calhoun - Damn, why did I drink so much water at that last stop.  The run was actually going really well until that moment.  And that was the end.  Luckilly, the lake is well equipped, shall we say.

Lake of the Isles - I hate this lake.  This is where the running/walking began.  It's really not such  a bad lake.  I'm making peace with it, slowly.

Lake Calhoun - here were are again.  Thank god for plumbing.  This is not fun.

Lake Harriet - last time, I swear.  This is about where I threw in the towel but I knew I'd hit the 20 mile mark in a ridiculous and painful way.

40th Street - I did run up that one hill, just practice for marathon day when the hill does come at about that mileage.  I ran down the other side of that hill too.  Then I started walking for serious.  And threw in the towel for serious.  My body hates me.  (It'd probably like me better if I'd given it more water during the run.)

Ice Baths - I'm getting the better at the scream as I submerge myself.

Food - what food.  My stomach still hates me.  I had popcorn.  And coffee.  Mmmmm, coffee.  Later, Steve and I went to Chipotle and had a lovely afternoon.  How much does my body hate me?  I couldn't even finish the burrito.  The rice and beans usually calm my stomach right down.

Why does my apartment smell like tomatoes?  Oh yeah, all the heirloom tomatoes I bought for soup.  I made soup.  It's really good.  I can't tell if it's the tomatoes or if I just know what I'm doing now.  I hope it's not the tomatoes because they were expensive as all getout.  And how, exactly, do you core an heirloom tomato?

On the food front, I think I'll be making up most of those 3,000 calories I burned tomorrow.  Eggs, bacon, spaghetti.  Hmm, sounding better, still don't want to eat it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment