11.9.10

Fun with the parents: Day 1

My parents came to see me this week. For the last time they both came, we'd have to go all the way back to 2008 when Dad came up for a law conference and brought Mom just for me. (They're getting better with the shoes.)

Mom and Dad arrived Wednesday night, late, which I'm counting as pre-day 1.

Thursday morning I cooked breakfast (those four eggs looked like six last night) and then we headed out to nature. Dad told me I could take Mom from garden to garden the entire time she was here so that was pretty much the itinerary.

Garden number one was Lyndale Park. We walked through the Rose Gardens and were heading over to the Peace Garden. The Minneapolis Hiking Club was getting a tour and the guide invited us to join. It was actually very interesting. I learned a lot about my parks.


Sadly, it was the grayest day ever and the mosquitoes were swarming. A lot.

Next we headed to the co-op to purchase provisions for the week. My parents and I have very similar sensibilities about food but also some notable differences. (My favorite is Mom buying organic milk for the happy cows on the carton but buying conventional yogurt and willfully forgetting those cows are less likely to be happy.) We did pretty well, and they both found some stuff they can't get in Cincinnati due to lack of natural foods stores there.

I feel like we did something for lunch, like I cooked but I can't remember what that possibly would have been. I know I ran out of plates at some point though.

After lunch Mom and I went to Ikea. I got non-stick tongs. My pooky bear will tell you those weren't allowed to exist in Minnesota for several years. I also got a bath mat and some new kitchen towels. I got Mom and new rug for the kitchen and she got some other stuff too.

My parents birthdays are both next week. To celebrate, I took them to the Birchwood for dinner and awesome dessert. Then we got rush tickets to The Scottsboro Boys which was fantastic. I really liked the music. It's, I don't know how to describe it, but 'light and fluffy' would be incorrect. Just so you know. Fantastic music and singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment