11.5.08

The Week with the Family

I had actually a very nice time with my family. Here's how it went:

Tuesday: I worked all day. I had a fairly rough time getting everything together so I could be out of the office for three days. I only ended up staying a bit late. And then I went out to eat with Amanda and Kelly. When my parents arrived, they brought me chocolate cake. My dad came to inspect my kitchen and then went on to the hotel where he was staying. Mom and I hung out for a while before we went to sleep.

Who can explain to me Minnesota shoe etiquette? I basically don't wear shoes in my own home and keep my house clean enough to support such a habit. My parents basically put their shoes on in the morning when they get dressed which I think is gross. I keep the house clean but I do like to keep the vacuuming to a minimum. So, when going over to someone else's house, what's the rule about shoes? I say, look at the host's feet. If they're not in shoes...

Wednesday: My mom woke up amazingly early and did some work. Then we made breakfast and mapped out our shopping strategy. First we went to the Como Conservatory and Zoo. I had a really nice time. Also, I didn't have a panic attack despite the amazing throng of school kids and little kids with scary moms. (You know exactly what I'm talking about.)

And then we went to the DMV where I got my new driver's license. At least in this photo I'm not wearing a bandana and glasses. That was right down the street from Saigon so it only made sense to go. It really didn't matter to me that I'd been there the night before. We had a nice huge and great lunch.

Then it was off to Ikea for who knows what. Honestly, do we really need an excuse? Then, because we were there, we had to stop at Macy's although that trip was ultimately unsuccessful. And then we had to get coffee on the way home. I had nothing to do with that, I'm a morning coffee drinker.

When Dad came over for dinner we went to an Ethiopian place by my office. It's a place where no one really speaks English (in the good way). In Spanish speaking restaurants I can usually get by but in this place all I can do is point and see what comes out. Yum.

Thursday: I had really good intentions about getting up to run but that didn't happen. Instead I drug my mom out for a walk around the lake with me. That was really nice. We came back and had a tiny breakfast and then it seemed like it was time to go shopping again. We stopped at Target to pick up pictures and then headed over to the Edina Grill (a relative of the Longfellow and Highland Grills) for a yummy late lunch. Then it was over to Southdale for bra shopping. Is it weird that I don't like to try on clothes right after I've eaten? Anyways, we also went over the Bed Bath and Beyond where I picked up a wok and Mom found some other neat stuff.Next to Bed Bath and Beyond is a Dress Barn which I was initially reluctant to enter, however, I found two pairs of pants in there so I ate my humble pie on the way home.

We met Dad and went out to the Birchwood Cafe. That's a yummy place and we should go there more. I had a vegan burrito which was yummy and amazing filling. And used Jicima which is not an ingredient I typically use. Mom and Dad came home and had blueberry pie and I had a milkshake.

I was around bed time that I discovered the lock on my patio door wasn't acutally locking anything. I had a mild freak out but was able to fix it for the night.

Friday: Great success. I actually got up and ran. I ran over four miles. And then I walked the rest so it totalled six miles. I only meant to run four miles so it is a success.

To celebrate me getting off my butt, Mom and I went to Maria's which is always yummy. I had corn pancakes and mom had huevos perichos which is the other really authentic dish they serve that everyone knows. I would enjoy that dish more often but it has identifiable tomatoes. So sad.

After brunch we went to the hardware store (trip #1) and returned the paint and bought a replacement latch for the patio door. I came home and tried to insall the new handle when the locking mechanism fell into the door. This led to hardware store trip #2. Well ultimately neither of those locking mechanisms would have worked. I tried several things. Dad tried to help for like two seconds but he hates home repair so he didn't really do anything. In the end, there is a bit of a mish mash of old and new parts on the door and some things are in slightly different places. But, like the run, it is a great success because the thing really locks now. And I have an entire set of parts I can return which will lead to hardware store trip #3 which hasn't happened yet. I'll let you know.

Since Dad had been at a conference all week, he wanted to see the great outdoors. So we walked the (all 6 miles) around Lake Nokomis. We stopped after mile 5 for some ice cream at the Grand Old Creamery (yum) which held us over nicely for our dinner.

We went to this place I read about in City Pages. It's the one at the corner of 46th and Nicolette (yeah, the building that started as a KFC). It was really yummy but a nicer place you wouldn't regularly go. We celebrated mother's day.

I found my mom a really neat card. I think the girl on the front looked like Mom but she didn't see it. After that, we watched an episode or two of Monk and went to sleep.

Saturday: I protest the hour at which I was roused on Saturday. I got up and made my parents breakfast. And then they left. It's really a good thing they got me up that early because otherwise I never would have been on time to help Kelly and Eric pain their garage. Which is how I spent a big part of that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment