8.3.10

Running, eating and exercise balls

Running: I ran seven and a half miles yesterday and (miraculously) found a path in Minneapolis that was not covered with ice or puddles. Said path did have a few steep but short hills that were much more fun to go down than up. I can now say I fully support the 40th street Greenway Project (because that's essentially the route I took to Lake Harriet). By the way, I was at Lake Harriet where I haven't been since marathon training last year.
I'm fairly tired today. Not sure if I'd be this tired if I hadn't cleaned for four hours after running that far. But it's possible. I was planning on running or going to the gym this morning and am feeling bad for not going. Although perhaps running the day after Long Run Sunday is not the best plan in the world.
I was thinking about giving Lake Nokomis another chance tomorrow. (It's had significant ice issues.) But it's cold out so I might go spend some quality time with an elliptical instead. (I find irony in the fact that I'm cold on the warmest day since November but ran outside in January and February with some amount of enthusiasm.)

Eating: Did you ever have one of those days where you wanted to eat everything in sight and lot's of stuff that's out of sight too? I'm having one right now. I've decided that every once in a while the calorie restriction can get blown to hell without a problem. It wouldn't have been so bad had I actually exercised today.

Exercise balls: I'd been thinking about getting an exercise ball as an office chair for some time. I got much closer when my neighbor told me he'd just pulled the trigger and bought one and was adjusting nicely. So I went to Target tonight and bought one. (They're on sale by the way.) As I was driving home I kept thinking, "I really want to try it out tonight but what if it's too big to fit in my car all blown up?" I quickly decided that I could slightly deflate the thing if the need presented itself. My trunk's fairly big anyway. So I inflated the ball and I'm sitting on it right now. I'm glad Steve told me not to panic if the ball deflates and needs more air a couple times in the first few days while it stretches out. I'm also glad I read the things that say to start using it as an office chair for 30 minutes a day and build up to the entire day. We'll see how it goes over at the office tomorrow. Maybe I can start a trend.

Bonus: Linkfest
  • Why I got the exercise ball in the first place. I'm also considering one of those rubber mats for standing. I tried standing for a few minutes at a time but I always forget to stand back up. Maybe it's a process. Maybe I should get a second ball for at home on the weekends. (Hey, exercise ball instead of bean bag chair Kelly!)

  • Obesity caused by bacteria? It's a nice article and nice to think about reasons weight gain may be for reasons besides being a bad person and eating too much.

  • Want! I don't even know why, I have a place to stash my iPod and cell phone instead of the dash board. I just think it's cool.

  • Geopolitics made easy. Bonus points to anyone who can properly identify Transnistria without using the internet. I didn't realize about "Somaliland" either. You'd think I'd be more educated about that region given the huge Somali populations in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Time to learn I guess.

  • This picture is for my pooky bear. Safe for work unless you laugh so hard you snort coffee up your nose.

  • This image is for Amanda who, sadly, doesn't read my blog anymore because she only gets internet on her iPhone.


Bonus Bonus: What's Liz Listening To Now?

No comments:

Post a Comment