23.12.07

No alcohol was involved in the making of this video, I swear

Yesterday was the Christmas part, or as I like to call it, the steal-a-thon. Heh heh. Everyone brings a gift, and then we all draw numbers to decide the order we choose and open gifts. So if a present has already been opened, I can steal it from someone. As I did twice yesterday.

I was going to show you a video of Aunt Barb's newest Christmas Carol. However, I have dial-up and I don't have the patience to upload 40Mbs of video at this time.

There were some booby gifts too. My cousin got a "universal remote control" with buttons so big the remote winds up being the size of a cookie platter. My uncle got that gift and he's about the only person more technologically challenged than my dad. Hee hee.

It was a good time to see the aunties. I got a private design consultation with my aunt who used to be an interior designer. Among the tips I got were:
  • Counter tops: Much to my surprise, black has been approved, especially in a speckled look to mimic marble. I was also strongly encouraged to get the "bull nose" or the little part of the counter top that rounds up at the edge to prevent spills from spilling over the edge of the counter.

  • Back splash: A cream tile with not-white grout, sandstone was a suggestion. I was also strongly encouraged to do a design over the sink because there's no window there. Something simple like a diamond outlined in small black tiles. And the tiles should be laid at a 45 degree angle so they look like diamonds instead of squares.

  • Colors: The permanent colors (like the tile and the counters) will be black and white. I can add my own colors with things like towels, dishes, potholders, etc. Red accents have been pre-approved. (Duh!)

  • Flooring: Also wood, not exactly the same shade as my cabinets but close. I'm still thinking about the bamboo flooring. I could get the tiles at the same place. Also, I have to pick my flooring ahead of the cabinent install because if new flooring is going on over the old, they have to make sure the allow for that in installing the cabinets and the height they install the dishwasher.

  • Wall Color: I have again been encouraged to go "neutral" on the walls with like a cream or similar. For more, there has to be some color. I've also been encouraged to paint my woodwork a white satin finish to make the rest of color "pop". I think Aunt Bobbie is seriously underestimating the amount of woodwork I have in my house.


Today was a day of generally hanging out and cleaning. I now understand the extent to which my mom is overwhelmed by crap, or really by her inability to throw things away. Maybe I don't understand the total extent, but I have a much better picture. How sad.

1 comment:

  1. I object to white and cream in the same room. Ick. Almost as bad as black and navy blue together.

    ReplyDelete