18.7.07

Two mistakes I've made and one I hope I don't

I've learned a lot from my mistakes today.

Lesson 1: When using the same measuring cup for the rice and the water, pour in the rice first. This is one of those things I don't do too often. Pasta is really my preferred grain. So, I'm making rice for a recipe I read in Eating Well and then totally interpreted. It called for all these things to be done on a grill which is not possible at the moment, ever really. I'm not a griller. So I poured in the water to the pot for my basmati rice and then poured the rice into the now wet measuring cup. And then, obviously, the grains of rice stuck to the side of the cup and later infiltrated other foods when I used the same measuring cup (after moderate rinsing) to add water to the chicken's sauté pan. Thank you to Firefox for putting the little accent over the "e" for me.

Lesson 2: Don't drink a cup of milk and then try to run five miles. No good comes of it. Alternative: run five miles and then drink all the milk your little body desires. I ran five miles tonight. I didn't really expect to. I thought it was going to be 90* and 1000% humidity. After it rained it seemed like it would be cool enough to rain, I didn't realize I was running through a steam bath. About a mile into my run it started one of those cool the sun is shining but it's still raining deals. I say it was cool only because the rain cooled me off. I'm still loving the Nike+iPod deal. I think it's fantastic. I was having a lot of trouble lately, not exercising, tired all the time, feeling really bad, and this little gizmo seems to be all the motivation I need to go run forever and to see how fast I can go. I'd like to thank everyone involved in this gift, I really needed it right now.

So, the milk. See, when I got home it was basically a monsoon. I was wet, not unlike this incident only this time I had an umbrella and I was still soaked. I did have the presence of mind to take off my shoes before I got out of my car. I was kind of hungry, feeling like an empty stomach after my spaghetti at lunch so milk and cookies (little waffers) seemed like a good idea before going to the Y. And then I started reading Harry Potter and it stopped raining. And then it was after rush hour so I thought I'd run around the neighborhood. But when I got outside running 5 miles around Lake Nokomis really seemed to be the better option. So there I was with my milk and cookies and started off on my run. I think the discomfort didn't catch up with me until pretty near the end of the run. When I stopped running and started walking, that seemed to alleviate the discomfort.

Lesson 3: For dinner I'm having a ginormous yes, that's a word smoothie. I'm eating it while I'm sitting here typing. Guess what lesson I'm hoping to avoid learning tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment