16.7.07

I ran today

I haven't been, well, exercising lately. I think my body is finally realized that what I've done to it the past two years in grad school was not normal, and has started to take appropriate action. And by appropriate action I mean going to great lengths to make sure I sleep as much as possible. But I really wanted to exercise today so I ran when I got home. Today also marks my first day using the Nike+ system (thank you Amanda, Kelly, and Eric, and Amanda again for the thing that attaches it to my shoes). I freakin love it. I decided that I would run 4 miles. So I programmed the workout to that distance, which was so simple it could only be done with an mac product, and started. Every mile, a nice voice told me the distance I had already covered, told me my halfway point, and when I had 400 meters to go counted down every hundred meters. Then it told me I was running a 9:51 mile which does not seem right. I feel like I'm much slower than that. Last year's Milk Run, the only other run which is reliably timed I ran 11:45 miles.

I did register for the Milk Run again. I think this time I may be running alone. The last day to register is Friday and none of my friends have registered that I know of so far. Kelly did promise that she would come that day and cheer me on and then we could go to the fair later. I hope she can, that's only two weeks before she gets hitched.

And before I go, I'd like to leave you with this: Researchers from MIT have found the molecule that causes fear when working with lab mice. The researchers then successfully "turned off" the fear molecule. Isn't this something we want functioning pretty much all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment