23.7.07

Apparently I'm not quite ready for the 10K

I got up this morning in time to run I know, a miracle in itself and for some reason thought I could run six miles really fast. Turns out I can't yet. I'll work on that. I died after about four miles, although then I was still down at Lake Nokomis so I walked for a while and then ran hills on the way home. Felt good to get up and run, but it took me so long to get home that I didn't have time to stretch properly before I had to get ready for work. My little legs ached all day.

At the end of the day I bought new running shoes, and I bought frames for some of my pictures that didn't have them, including my degree, which obviously gets a nice one. I think I'm going to take them all in to work, although I love the ones in my entry way.

Speaking of my entry way, because I can't seem to get it together to invite my interior decorator over for dinner and a consultation, I think I need to work on the entryway painting project first. For some reason, a brown color in there seems like a good idea. I have no explanation. Here's my question. I've seen wall striping done in a lot of places and I think it looks cool. I think it looks really nice and would be great and welcoming in my entry way. (I'm talking about the first little hallway and the second hallway that goes to my bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.) Am I allowed to do this to my condo? Would it really just look dumb? For colors, my designer was thinking taupe, I was thinking something more in the chocolate family, although not quite as dark.

I found all these really funny web pages today that I feel compelled to share with those of you who don't have digg, or don't have the chance to check it as often as you should:
1. God's Inbox. What's funny to me about this is not so much the picture but the comment on the digg page below the link.
2. Statris, another USA map game for my second interior designer and sometimes running partner who loves them.
3. 10 Most Amazing Illusions has some really cool pictures. We should learn how to do some of these things.
4. Top 13 Worst Translations Ever is an illustration of why it's important for translators working for ad agencies to understand the nuances and idioms of both languages. Woops. This one is almost not safe for work, just be careful not to snort starbucks up your nose.
5. Pick Your Candidate is a cool web site for all political persuasions. It lists a whole bunch of issues that are facing voters right now, asks you whether you support or oppose the measure, and then asks you to rate how strongly you feel about the issue. Once you've put in all your answers, it tells you which candidates most closely share your views, and scores almost all the candidates on how close they are to what you're looking for. It's only for the presidential election of 2008. I thought it was interesting. Of course I came up as agreeing closest with someone I don't know too much about. At least he was from the part of the political spectrum I was expecting.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:00 AM

    OK, without being at your house (and I haven't been there since our birthdays last year), here are my initial color suggestions.

    First of all, go to Behr.com and use their "Color Smart" plugin. You don't have to end up buying Behr paint, but it's a nice way to explore different color options.

    Here are my specific color suggestions:
    250F-4 "Stone Brown"
    250F-5 "Fudge Bar"
    250E-3 "Wild Porcini"
    260F-5 "Applesauce Cake"
    270F-4 "Wilmington Tan"
    240E-3 "Coronado Dunes" (yes, a bit pink, but I think you could pull it off)

    As for application, I think you could pull off the stripes, especially if you did your whole hallway. But, you have to be really careful about what colors you choose. My sister did her upstairs bathroom in blue with one of the stripes being flat and one being gloss, just both the same color, and that turned out cool, though really subtle and I think she was disappointed.

    Anyways, pick the nice chocolate-y color you like, and then go as light on the card as you can stomach, because you really don't want a dark and dreary entryway. You could do the lighter color as the main color, and then do narrower stripes in the darker one and I think that could turn out OK. Since your entryway is so small, you don't want the stripes to be too narrow, or it will feel busy and dizzying. Your main stripes should be 8-12" with accent stripes of equal or lesser width, no less than 6".

    You also want to think about how you're going to paint the rest of your house. Since everything is pretty connected and close together, you have to be careful. For instance, if you have a striped entryway, the rest of your rooms (except maybe your bedroom which mostly only you see) should just be painted solid colors with nothing flashy going on. But if you painted your entryway solid, then you could do something in your living room like having the top 18" painted a different color (a personal favorite of mine), or some other sort of horizontal stripe. Either way, you could still do an accent wall in the living room in a different color, provided it was the one you can't see from the hallway (that means the one to the right of the sliding glass door, when facing it).

    In my humble opinion, you should decide what you want to do in the whole place before purchasing and applying paint. I know the hallway seems like a small project, but it will totally affect the entire rest of your house and you don't want to be regretting any painting choices.

    PS - I am free most evenings for the next two weeks, and after that I may be too stressed to be able to coherently think about paint colors.

    ReplyDelete