6.3.16

Ft Snelling Run

Spring is springing earlier than normal.  (Last year at this time I think it was about 5*)  I was super excited to get out for a long run today. 
Note for myself - it was 40* when I started and 50* when I finished.  I wore capris, wool socks, a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve shirt.  All was well.

Goals for the run: Heart rate in zones 2 and 3.  Except on that big hill.  Anything is fair game on that hill.

Route: The Ft Snelling run is one of my favorites, and one that I've used in marathon training quite a lot.  I was a bit intimidated by the distance, about 1.5 miles longer than I've been going recently, but the weather was so perfect I had to give it a try.  I was nervous that I'd run into an icy patch or two on the down part of this trail.  Instead I hit like half a mile of packed snow and ice.  Then I got really nervous the up hill would be icy, but it was fine.
Note to self: wait longer to run this trail next year.

Execution: I felt a bit slow to start.  As I got further into the run and my heart rate was staying where I wanted it, I was more and more encouraged.  The winds were out of the south today, so the beginning was slower than coming home. Over all, I was surprised and pleased.  Such a nice switch from the crap fast that was last week.

Bonus:  At first I thought it was going to be the shoes I wore for the run.  But instead, let's talk about the eagles I saw hanging out.

No comments:

Post a Comment