8.4.13

Kansas: Year 3

This year's Kansas trip was a whirlwind sort of.  Read about the 2011 Trip and the 2012 trip if you need a refresher.



Saturday I got up at 5am and ran my mile just so I could say I did it and then headed out of town with Running Beth, Kathy (who lives five blocks from me and I only see when we go to Kansas), Beth's kid and his friend.  The drive down was quick and mainly uneventful.
We got to Lawrence in the afternoon and entertained ourselves at the Jayhawks Bookstore before heading to team headquarters at Freestate Brewery for the team meeting and leg assignments.  And beer.  Kathy, Kathy's parents, Beth, Beth's mom and I had dinner at Free State as well.  I had pasta in honor of running the next day.  Most of us were in bed by 9pm.  Good thing too.



Sunday was the race day.  I had the same legs this year that I did the very first year.  I found out that I am the runner who crosses the team into Kansas about a mile into the first leg.  Did not know that. The race was tons of fun this year.  Kansas was not 90* as it has been in years past; it was in the low seventies and mostly cloudy.  That was very good running weather.  It was also unanimously agreed this was the best organized version of Brew to Brew any of us had ever run.  Nice.  We finished mid afternoon and headed over to Liberty Hall (overflow from Free State) for dinner and more beer.  We broke up the party and headed to our respective abodes for the evening.  The shower I took was awesome.  My shoes should show exactly how dusty the rest of me got.  Then we headed back to bed, basically too tired to move or do anything else.








Monday was the eight hour car ride that took something over ten hours instead.  I was mostly okay with the situation but I got a little tired at the end.  There was a stop to pick up the kids that was projected to take around five minutes and probably wound up being closer to twenty minutes, a super long lunch at Panera (sitting outside in the sun so no one wanted to leave), a random detour near Fairbault and a couple extra bathroom stops to go with my pissy mood.  We wound up so late that we had to go pick up another kid who'd been waiting for us for like an hour.  Sorry Esther.  After we got back I unpacked, ran my mile and headed up to Zumba which helped me feel better.  Now I am dreading work tomorrow.  Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment