26.1.13

Switching from Andriod to iOS - my initial thoughts

My old crapper of a phone finally died.  (I had an HTC My Touch 3G, relevant that it was a special edition because it meant the regular cases didn't fit it either.)  Like all good phones that aren't an iPhone, this boy ran on Android.  Reading this article made me want to tell you about the experience of switching.  (I originally chose Android because I wanted a phone with GPS and T-Mobile hadn't yet made peace with Apple and the iPhone.  I can see how, after reading the article, you're going to make assumptions about my economic position.  It's cool.)

What I liked about Android
  • Everything integrated with Google.  Gmail.  Calendar.  Contacts.  Reader.  Everything.
  • Swype.  It took me a while to get comfortable with it, but it's slick as shit.
  • Widgets on my home screen - so I could see the weather, the time and my calendar and had one touch shortcuts for things like calling my dad.
  • In some ways, I actually had access to more apps, including being a beta tests for a couple.
  • I had turn by turn navigation integrated, for free, the entire time I had my phone.  (If only the GPS didn't crash the damn thing.)


What I didn't like about Android or that phone (sometimes its hard to tell where the issue lay):
  • Try syncing music from your computer onto your phone.  Go ahead.  I dare you.
  • GPS crashed my phone on a regular basis, from driving to tracking runs.  (I believe that was either a hardware issue or a sim card compatibility issue.  Either way, suck it.)
  • No one else knew how to use my camera, so I have very few pictures of me and my friends with that phone.


What I like about iOS and the iPhone
  • I can sync music to iTunes in a way that's not stupid.  I am so happy.
  • It's so fast.  Programs open quickly and work right.
  • Web browsing is fast too.  Just.  So fast.
  • Web browsing works better.  Pinch to zoom.  Thank you.
  • "Fine my iPhone" - relevant.
  • The 8MP camera.  I'm going stir crazy inside in the cold just waiting for a chance to use it.
  • The ability to chose which apps can use my location without turning locations services off entirely.  Maps - yes, you need my location.  Facebook - no way on god's green earth do you need my location.  Kare11 - just go away.
  • It's just a better phone.  Sorry.  It is.
  • My phone bill is about $40 less expensive per month.  That's not the phone, that's purchasing the thing up front.
  • Siri - I'm tentatively putting Siri in this category.  We are not BFFs yet, but I'm getting to know her.


What I wish I'd known ahead of time:
  • Specific to switching FROM Android, pull contacts from your Google account, not your SIM card.  The SIM didn't necessarily transfer contact photos, addresses or weird things like Skype names but syncing with Google will get stuff right.  I'm still cleaning up my contacts.
  • It's a big phone.  Seriously, measure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment