22.1.13

Running - How to Stay Motivated for Newbies

If you're starting to run right now, as a New Year's Resolutionist or January Gym Rat, it can be really hard.  When you show up at the gym it feels like everyone else is skinnier than you, in better shape, knows exactly what they're doing and you're the only new person around.  That alone can be really discouraging.  Add to it that running is hard, and takes a lot of time and effort to make progress and things can seem hopeless.  I've been running since 2006 when my friend Qat Lady signed up for a 5K and I asked if I could join her.  She never really fell in love with running the way I did, but she's been encouraging me ever since.  How did I start up the running habit?

 
First - set realistic goals.  I know at the gym everyone else has their treadmills pumped up to ten, or is passing you on the track and it feels bad to have to stop and walk after two minutes.  Be gentle with yourself.  If you feel bad about your current level of fitness (lack of fitness?), forgive yourself for where you are and get to work.

The best goal/workout plan for new runners is the Couch to 5K Plan.  It's what I used when I started.  It's also what I use when we train with Team:Work.  Some people will be able to work through the plan as it's written.  Some people will want to double the time frame and do two weeks of the week one workouts before moving on to week two, then stay at week two for two weeks before moving on to week three.  Some people will want to add a "pre-week 1" of 30 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking.  Wherever you are, and whatever you try is a good place to start.

There are some other plans for people who are new to running including the Runner's World 8 Week Plan, Women's Health Beginner Runner Plan, or the Hal Higdon 30 30 Plan.  You can see they are fairly similar to the Couch to 5K plan and emphasize a combination of walking and running to build stamina.

Second - measure your progress.  If you're following any training plan, it's pretty easy to measure your progress.  (Last week I could only run two minutes at a time and this week I ran five minutes straight.)  There's lots of meaningful ways to measure progress, including how many minutes can you run, how far can you run, how fast can you run, how much weight have you lost, are you less sore than after the last workout, etc.  As a new runner I tended to focus on how many minutes I could run because it was something really easy to track with a watch or phone.  As my 'running times' increased, so did my confidence.


Third - Find what you like about running and keep it in mind.  If running is for you, there will be a reason you like it. Here are some of my reasons.
The great outdoors.  For me, running is all about getting outside.  Winter is pretty rough here because being outside is miserable; there is no scenery, no color, and very little daylight.  Winter running for me is about staying in shape so I can rock spring long runs.   Scenery choices at home include rivers, lakes, downtown, and a state park.  I am lucky to live where I do. 
 
Friends.  When I look at my groups of friends, running is a common theme among several of them.  Run with people you like, even if they're faster than you.  If your friends really are faster or stronger, they'll make sure they invite you on shorter runs, or runs where speed isn't important to them so they can enjoy your company.  Runners are typically friendly and encouraging and will try to make you feel welcome.   I've made some great friendships from running.
All I notice is that  everyone else is in their running shoes and I am rocking the flip flops.
 
Losing weight.  If this is why you run, I understand.  Running is a great way to lose weight because it burns a ton of calories.  Feel like you're slow and overweight?  Take heart! You're still burning lots of calories.  Here's an example using the Runners World Calorie Calculator.  Imagine I hit my goal weight of 140lbs (not today) and I can run a 10:00 mile (also not right now).  If I run five miles, I'll burn 529 calories.  Now imagine I'm a brand new runner is 175lbs and runs a 12:00 mile (more like me when I started), I would actually burn 662 calories for the same 5 miles.
Listening to music.  There's about a billion posts here on what music I listen to while I run; I find it super relaxing.  I know some people prefer podcasts, books on tape, etc on runs.  Live it up.

Source
 
Finally - be proud of yourself for every little thing.  There's a couple of running sayings that are relevant here.  One is you're lapping everyone who's sitting on the couch, no matter how you feel.  The second goes like this:
Me: Know what they call the person that finishes last at the marathon?
New Runner: What?
Me: A Marathon Finisher!
Ask me about coming in almost last at my first marathon.  All my marathons really.
 If you try running, no matter how it feels when you start, be proud of yourself for every little thing you do.  Every runner that passes by you will have something nice to say, because we all remember how we felt on our first run.  And we're happy that you're out here with us.  




No comments:

Post a Comment