23.10.12

Track Workout Tuesday

I haven't been running much for some reasons that have nothing to do with fitness or recovery.  We'll just leave it at that.  I was finally feeling better today.  It was doing this rain/mist/whatever thing outside so I hit the gym for a track workout.  I was promptly reminded why we don't go to the gym on Tuesdays.  (The farmer's market across the street does nothing for the parking situation.)

Since nothing I do can ever be normal, I worked out on a track that is 1/6 of a mile, somewhere between the 400M (1/4 mile) outdoor and 200M (1/8 mile) indoor standards.  The workout was a descending pyramid workout followed by some drills.  It was a total 'distance' of six miles.  I covered the first 5 miles in about a 12:00/mile total, including the walking and the last mile of drills took much longer.
  • Run 4 laps, walk 1 - one rep
  • Run 3 laps, walk 1 - two reps
  • Run 2 laps, walk 1 - three reps
  • Run 1 lap, walk 1 - four reps
  • Box jumps on the short sides, run the long sides - 1 lap
  • Walking lunges on short sides, run the long sides - 1 lap
  • Criss crosses on the short sides, run the long sides - 1 lap
  • High Knees on the short sides, run the long sides - 1 lap
  • Kick butts (for hamstrings) on the short sides, run the long sides - 1 lap
  • Run backwards on the short sides, run the long sides - 1 lap

This 'picture' of the workout bears no resemblance to the actual experience of the workout and is therefore hysterical.  The footpod usually doesn't register at all when I run backwards so I'm amazed there isn't a bigger dip somewhere at the end.

Part two was the 'finisher' from the health challenge.  I should not have tried any finishers after 6 miles of track workouts and drills.  It ate me alive.  Plus I did it in a totally different order, trying to get the most awful parts over with first.  I think that just made it harder.
 
I did it this way:
  • 30 ab tucks
  • walk off the rest of the track
  • 15 ab tucks - done with those suckers
  • 16 alternating push ups followed by 20 squat jumps (pretty sure  I was doing those wrong) X3 to be done with those
  • Walk half a lap to get my heart rate down.
  • 30 speed skaters, 16 tricep dips X3 to be done with those
  • Skipped lunges because I did them in my other drills; skipped jacks because I just ran six miles and I hate them
  • Straight arm front raise - all reps with band
  • Straight arm lateral raise - all reps at once, I am so weak
  • Chest press on ball - my ass hurts (which means I have good form on the stability ball)
  • Pec flys on the stability ball; my ass hurts more
  • Shoulder press with alternate knee lift - this one was last because I forgot it, not because it's my favorite.  It is actually like some dance moves I do so it was okay.


Finally - some songs that got me thought it all

No comments:

Post a Comment