6.11.11

Post marathon slump - part two

I did okay after the marathon and kept running and working out.  Turns out my natural slump is three or four weeks later.  And I'm basically okay with it.  (I did work pretty hard to get in marathon shape.  I've earned a break.)  The slump doesn't usually last long.  Normally by Thanksgiving, I'm back to running 6 or 7 miles in the morning.

Today, in order to break the slump, Neighbor Mia wanted to take me to a "core class" at her gym.  Turns out "core class" means "circuit class" and anyone whose ever been to a circuit class knows that really translates too "this class will kick your butt, even if you can run a marathon".  Add on to it, this is a circuit class in a boxing gym.  So yeah, I was pretty much dead.  It was a very challenging class and a good workout.

It got me thinking about doing a circuit class at my gym.  There is one that starts around 6pm on Mondays, before Pilates.  That'd be a long workout, but I could do it.  Then I saw there's a "water running" class in the pool on Wednesdays and I thought that would be good too.

Mia also wanted to try out Pilates at my gym, so I brought her along.  It was actually a really big class today.  (This is why we get places early.)  It was a nice class, totally different from circuit training, but also a good workout.

I heard from a friend who is in town for some fun at the mall of America.  I reminded her that I live very close to the mall so we worked out a time to get together tomorrow.

Then, I caught the cleaning bug.  I'd been looking at my shelves for a while, thinking the desk-like shelves really no longer served a purpose and should just go away.  For a refresher, I had a 'desk' situation as part of my wire shelving when I was in grad school and had this great old computer.  (And by "great old computer" I mean "POS".)
 Oh Toshiba...  Anyways.

The shelving was just useless and taking up space.  Taking apart the shelving requires an engineering degree and My Pooky Bear.  But the pieces I wanted to take off were actually easier to get at.  (Read - I didn't have to move the television.)  So I gave it a go.
 Here's another view of the old setup.  I have the computer on, and I actually had speakers "mounted" on the wall.  (Mounted means hanging on stick-on hooks that will surely rip off paint when removed.)
Here's roughly what the shelving looked like before I started the remodel process.  I'd already taken things off the top shelves before realizing I should document this in case I really did need Pooky Bear's help to get stuff back together.
When you see the entire shelving unit up close, it makes sense why I had to remove the two shelves over the television in order to remove those lower, seemingly unrelated shelves on the right.  This is why you need an engineering degree for these shelves.
 The finished product, before I put everything back on the shelves. 
 And the truly finished product, complete with guitars, speakers, blankets and pictures.

I cannot believe I took those shelves apart today.  That is what we call impulse cleaning.  I did some more impulse cleaning and my place looks pretty good.

The Qat Lady and I had originally made plans to have lots and lots of wine at her place tonight.  Sadly her school work got in the way and she suggested dinner instead.  We wound up at Cafe Biaggio where I'd never been.  We had a bottle of wine, some excellent food, and a lovely relaxed evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment