1.11.11

the Post-marathon crash (AKA just need no one else to die today)

It's been a rough few days.

Saturday I finally admitted to myself that I neither wanted to run nor be on the elliptical.  I decided that was fine.  After Pilates I did the bike a little and then was done.

Sunday probably not a lot happened because I can't remember it.  Good.  I needed the break.

Monday all hell broke loose.  Here's how:

  • 9am - try to find out if someone is discharging from a hospital today.  It's harder than you think it is.
  • 9:45am (that's right, it took me 45 minutes to figure out item number 1) find the missing person.  They could be in a hospital, at a nursing home (pick a nursing home, any nursing home), at their own home, or at any other undisclosed location.
  • 10:30am - found her and show up at correct place.  While at correct place, find a second client I didn't even know I'd misplaced that one.
  • 11:30am - go into hospital room to see person, hear nurse practitioner say "we need you to come outside and put on a gown and gloves because person has a serious infection we can't identify" ::Raise eyebrows:: Okay  Followed by literally saying goodbye to person who is obviously very sick.
  • 1:00pm - arrive at Halloween party in my "I don't do costumes" shirt (thanks Beth!).  Five of the ten people at the party are Russian speaking.  My first words inside the party "where's the vodka".

You can only the see "I don't do" but the shirt says "I don't do costumes".  And I'm smiling because someone got me alcohol!

Tuesday started with wishing Neighbor Steve good luck on his move to Iowa and by "good luck" I mean "happy that you found a great job at a company you're excited about but it really sucks you're moving away from here".  That set the tone for the day.
The day ended with me walking into my bosses office and saying "I just need no one else to be dying right now" (because frankly, I am done with losses, just until like Thursday or something, then you can resume your normal schedule).
I tried to cancel Team:Work but the one person who could run was all "but don't you think running will make you feel better?"  How dare you make sense and be rational?!?  Then I was all "will you do the big hill with me?" because I knew she would.  Sometimes, you just need to run up big hills.  (And then you get to run down them!)

When I got home I found an old Ladysmith Black Mombazo CD and listened to some great songs that made me feel slightly better.  For those of you missing out, here's some of their best work:

No comments:

Post a Comment