19.4.11

New York Sunday

By Sunday morning, I was ready to run again.  Luckily for me, there's a great route right in the neighborhood, complete with hills to help prepare me for my next race.  (Mark thinks I'm crazy for getting up early to run.  Whatever.)

The Brooklyn Museum: also the highest point in the run.

Grand Army Plaza and the entrance to the park

Cherry Blossoms (or some other kind of blossoming fruit tree)

Our first outing of the day was to Manhattan for Irmghard to collect her tax forms (it has to do with being self-employed). The tax preparer was right next to this Church, ahem, Church-turned-nightclub, no, seriously, Church - turned nightclub - turned shopping mall. Shopping! I actually am not that dangerous at high end places in Manhattan when I've packed only carry-on luggage. It was a fun place to walk around, for both the stores and the architecture.


Get me out of Manhattan! We headed back to Brooklyn and dropped off Mom and Little Cousin at home.
So glad I wasn't driving in Manhattan!


Mark needed a haircut so we headed over to Park Slope to a barber shop he wanted to try. I walked around Park Slope and missed my brother who used to live in that neighborhood before moving half way around the world again.

We'd talked about walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, it seemed open even though they're doing repairs.  Mark and I braved the throngs of tourists and bicycles.  (Although the cyclists yelling at everyone did almost have a point.)  The bridge dropped us out in lower Manhattan, very close to where Mark lived the first time I saw him in New York.  We stopped and had a hot bowl of noodles (it's a long walk across the bridge).  The noodle shop was next to this store called Century 21 which Mark describes as "like TJ Maxx after a week of drinking and acid" or something similar.  It was a wild, completely packed store.  I took one look and was all "please can we leave".  PANIC!  Even for New York that place was too crowded.




Back across the bridge and into Brooklyn we went.  We found Irmghard in a mild state of anxiety over the taxes.  They spelled my name wrong!  It is a difficult name to spell, the last name is a piece of work too although that's Mark's fault more than hers.

We had Seafood salad redux for dinner.  Not sure if it's odd that I'm so willing to eat squid (hell yeah!) but I think it made Mark happy when I loved it the first night and was interested enough to ask if he'd add mangoes to the leftovers.

Sunday night little cousin was a fuss pot (poor thing!).  Mark was trying to pack and comfort Little Cousin while Irmghard trained me to be her design assistant.  It mildly worked.  He was better at getting the kid to not cry than I was.


Mark got up and left super early on Monday morning for some business in Miami so that was my last night with him.  Thanks Cuz; I had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment