2.12.10

Running on Ice and Snow

Running on snow is Minnesota's answer to running on the beach.  Both are a novelty and both give your calves the greatest workout.

Running on ice is Minnesota's answer to shark diving.

Wednesday morning: I got up at the crack of dawn and went for a run with Heather and Beth.  Sadly, they did not hear the python story and now people tell me I've told it too many times.  Wednesday was mildly icy, especially on the way back.

The rest of Wednesday was fairly routine.  I did get to go home early because a home visit I had scheduled wound up being a no-show.

Thursday I woke up early and had to go to work.  I also knew today was the day I needed 8 miles.  (Why am I marathon training already?)  Plus I needed a hill run this week.  Plus I needed to do 3 with Team:Work.


I ran a hill run at work.  It was only mildly a slip and slide.  Luckily the really steep down hill part at the end was also really well cleared and had plenty of salt.   I could see people had been out in yaktrax but I feel like it's not the correct terrain for the trax yet; there needs to be a thicker and more regular covering of snow first.

Wardrobe was also a question.  I wore my awesome new hat which is good until the second I stop running.  I didn't have enough on my arms.  On my legs I had my awesome running tights (thanks Mom, they still rock) and fleece pants.  And wool socks.  Wool is my new best friend.


After the hill run, I headed over to the gym with Team:Work for our last workout.  All the people who were working out tonight were members of the Y.  I was painfully reminded why I can't stand going to the gym after work in the winter.  Why are all of you people here?  The lobby was a zoo; the track was a zoo; the locker room was a zoo.

My teammate and I had an hilarious discussion about the number of laps we'd run.  She swears up and down it was 20 laps, or 3.333333 miles and I swear up and down it was 19 laps or 3.16666 miles.  Now, if I'm correct we ran roughly and 12:20-12:25 mile.  If she's correct we ran an 11:40ish mile.  To be clear, there is no way on god's green earth we were running an 11:40 mile.  I can tell you this because she doesn't read my blog so I won't be breaking her heart.

Sunday is the big day.  The Dreidel Dash (the 5k race we've been training for) is at 1pm.  Every time we look at the forecast, it goes down a degree or two.  At least they took the snowflakes off the picture.  I wonder if I'll be able to clean my running tights before then.  Brrr.

After all the running tonight, I had thai food.  It's been waaay too long since I've had Thai.  I love it.  Is it odd that I can call a Thai restaurant and order food even if I've never been there and haven't seen the menu?  Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment