13.9.10

Long Run Monday - A Beer will fix this...

How'd my day go?  It's ending well.

I went to bed last night planning to get up at 5am (why do I do this to myself?) and do my long run for the week, 12-13 miles.  At 1am or so when I was still awake, those dreams were dashed.  I have a paronychia on one of my fingers and it was throbbing so bad I couldn't sleep.  Ice finally helped alleviate some of the pain.

At 5am, the alarm went off and I vowed to spend quality time at the gym after work before I reset it to allow for the correct amount of sleep.

Around 8:30am I finally dragged myself out of bed and went to work.  (A reminder, my office was closed Thursday and Friday to celebrate Rosh Hashanah.)  I had nine new messages in addition to the six from last week I didn't have time to return.

Next my bosses boss (with whom I get along very well) asks me how old I am (no, seriously) so she can decide if she should set me up with this guy she knows.  Say it with me now, 'a beer will fix this'.  At the end of the day, double boss informed me she was assigning "fix up Liz" as an entire staff project.  (Maybe two beers will fix this?)

I also got a text from my teenager thanking me for being her mentor.  Out of the blue.  Here's the thing about me - when anyone else gets all emotional/touchy-feely/whatever, my own emotions just completely turn off.  No getting emotional or freaked out, no being moved, no reciprocating.  I try to be present to what the other person is feeling and attend to that.  As a social worker, it's an invaluable skill.  In personal relationships, not so much.  (Just ask Chris what happened when he tried to tell me how he felt about me once upon a time.)  I did finally get my sh!t together and tell her I'm glad to be her mentor.  (It has been a blast up to this point.)

At the end of the day, I turned on my cell phone.  I didn't know it could do so many alerts at once.  (Perhaps I should just carry it in my pocket from now on, I never hear it ring.)  The battery was basically dead from all the things my phone wanted me to do; return calls, return texts, look at my Facebook messages, look at the weather, etc.

I plugged the sucker in and called home to wish awesome parent number one a happy birthday.  (Awesome parent number two's birthday is Friday.)  She wasn't home but I left a message with Dad.

Off to the gym for my penance.  I swear I basically did a half marathon at 11:00-12:00/mile pace.  The workout was a real ass-kicker.
  • Step 1: 6 miles of sprints.  Which means 2 laps (or 1/3 of a mile) running at a faster than 5k pace (which for me is still pretty slow), then 1 lap (or 1/6 of a mile) walking.  Repeat.  My body moved 6 miles at what averaged out to be a 12:10 pace which tells you the running was pretty fast.  My body sprinted a total of 4 of those miles.
  • Step 2: Go find an elliptical.Nope - not that one.  The first elliptical I had, I didn't like.  I got off it right away.  There are a couple where the resistance is set really weird.  Like, I had it set to a level and resistance that would be super easy on any other machine and I was about dying on that one.
    Go find a better elliptical.  Check!
    Now stay there until your body has moved for an hour, then check mileage.  After an hour and a couple minutes, I'd done another six miles.  I re-signed out the elliptical for another few minutes to complete the last mile.
  • Step 3: Back to the track for that last .1 mile and a stretch.

After that, I realized it was 9pm and I both hadn't had dinner and didn't want it.  But I badly needed something with some carbs.  Say it again now, 'a beer will fix this'.  There's a liquor store conveniently located across the street from my Y.  (Seriously.)  So I paid them a visit.  I also had to stop at Walgreens on the way home.

Then I calculated my calories in versus out for the day and learned I can eat another 1,000+ calories because I didn't eat too much crap earlier and I worked my tail off at the gym.  I don't think I'll get all 1,000 in today.  But seriously, a beer will put me much closer to my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment