11.9.10

Fun with the parents: Day 3

All the times I've said "I'm soooo tired" will now be explained.

This morning I woke up at 5:40am before the alarm clock.  Ooops.  It's worth mentioning at this point that I dread so much waking up that I finally took Chris' advice and bought one of these things because it feels less violent than an awful buzzing/ringing/vibrating/oh-my-god-make-it-stop that normally wakes me up.

When I woke up 20 minutes early, I took it as a good sign.  I got dressed and headed out for a seven miler.  It was a productive run.  I'm getting better at running up on my toes, although still not good enough to do it for the big day.  It's harder to tell how fast I'm moving when I'm up like that too.

I got back and insisted on a big breakfast because I had a hike around Pike Island in mind for the family.  


That may be the Minnesota River there.  I get confused about what is where down there.

This was easily the nicest day of the trip (oh, look, sunshine!) and Pike Island did not disappoint.  It was hilariously difficult to convince Mom that the trip from Minnehaha falls down that awesome trail to Island is actually down hill ("it doesn't feel like we're going down") although I think she believed me once she saw what we had to walk back upI'm sure I've mentioned this route before.

It was actually a big day up at the fort.  There were people dressed up as old school soldiers with big guns and drums and the whole deal.  At the top of the hill, we stopped and enjoyed the awesome view.
The pictures of the view didn't turn out so well, but I'm trying to teach my parents how to take a self portrait with the three of us.  They're getting better but not quite the prowess of Amanda and my pooky bear.  (Maybe I should have a nickname like that for Amanda.)

It turns out that was a six mile hike so my mileage total for the day was already up to 13.  (My feet hate me.)

Time for lunch and back to Birchwood we went.  My parents really like it.  I like that it's actual food.  Om nom nom.

After lunch, we went to the Sculpture Garden, a request of Dad's.
I'd never been to the Sculpture Garden before because for the longest time I didn't understand that it was free and not requiring a ticket from the Walker.  Here we are, not climbing on the exhibits, in one of the double mirrors.

The day just didn't quit.  The sun was out, making for some great sites and great pictures.  I tried to tell my parents that if there's one thing that everyone around here can identify as being just, Minneapolis, it's the cherry.  They didn't understand.  (It's like the Space Needle I said.  That seemed to help.)  Here's some of the obligatory pictures.

The rest of the sculpture garden was great.  There were flowers, kids climbing on things, and some art.
There's also a bridge from the sculpture garden over to Lorring Park.  (I'm sure at some point I've mentioned I'm afraid of heights.)  I went with Mom because I knew there was no way Dad would ever get near the steps, let alone the real bridge.

After this, I was getting hungry again although my parents thought it was odd that I'd ever want food again.  (Which one of us ran 7 miles by 7am again?)  Just shows me that my metabolism really does speed up for some time after a run.  Mmmm.  Food.

Mom actually wanted to start the trip tonight to make the drive home shorter for tomorrow.  I was a little bummed they left, and even more bummed when my brother tried to call us and missed them.  I just talked to them and they're staying the night in Black River Falls and should have about a 10 hour drive (that I'm sure they'll stretch into 11 or 12) tomorrow.

Tomorrow I may or may not offer support to the St Paul runners as they do their 20-miler.  (We're on different training programs obviously because I have an entire month to taper and they only get 3 weeks.)  They may have found a path where my encouragement is not needed.  WAY TO GO RUNNERS! just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment