17.8.10

Long Run Tuesday: Hydrate and WIN

Today another 20 miler was on tap. (Once again, here's the training program I'm using.)

Last night or the night before, I read this post where the author noted he drank about 72 ounces of water on a 20 mile run. I'm sorry. How much now? It was like a light bulb going off, no wonder I get so sick on long runs, I'm totally dehydrated! Today's hydration plan: drink water whenever I want it and refill the water bottles in the water fountain at Summit and River Pkwy. My secondary goal was to have the water bottles about empty when I arrived at said water fountain.

Here's how the run went:

500am - why is it so early? why is it so dark?
503am - Mmm, peanut butter.
515am - head out into the dark

Minnehaha Parkway - as I came down around the corner onto the parkway I about ran into another runner. Literally. We both screamed.

Lake Nokomis - I got to see the sun coming up over the water. There's a reason it's my happy place.

Back to Minnehaha Parkway - Hmmm. It's still really early. This seems like a good place for my first snack.

Onto the River Parkway in Minneapolis - Slow down! I could feel myself getting excited and starting to go a little faster. It was a gorgeous day. I knew it was going to be a better long run than last time. (It would be hard to have been worse than my last 20 miler.) I did a good job of cooling my jets.

Over Franklin Bridge - I like this bridge. I was even able to river-gaze a little bit without getting dizzy.

Back up the river parkway - it's becoming clear to me that the entire marathon course could charitably be called a 'false flat' meaning it's rolling hills that aren't huge. It really starts to climb on the other side of the river. The pacing was starting to pay off because I handled the hills just fine.

The big hill up to Cretin - Well this is going to be fun at Mile 20! It was the only thing I could think. My plan is just to relax and run the marathon course like that hill doesn't exist. If I pace myself otherwise fine, I'll just see how I feel on that hill.

Up Summit to Snelling - notice how that word "up" is coming more frequently? I did too.

Back to the water fountain - I wish I knew how long that water break took me because it'd give me a better idea of my pace. I love that down hill part of Summit.

Back to the River Parkway - not as down hill as I remember it. My legs were starting to get tired and I could no longer eat the granola bar. On to the Gu packs for me. And on to the water bottles. It was starting to get hot and I was in the sun more on this side of the river.

The Ford Bridge - that was just practice for Saturday afternoon, bringing the Ragnar team into Minneapolis!

Minnehaha Parkway, again - I was thrilled to find myself under 4 hours (per my ipod) which includes some walking I did to warm up, the water stop, and all the stop lights on Summit. I got to the point where my arms were too tired to lift my water bottle to my mouth (that's not a problem..) and then I hit that point where I wanted to keep running because I knew it would hurt too much to stop. (My legs are so happy!)

Across Cedar and into the neighborhood - Up on my toes one last time to get up the hill to 46th street, then I started throwing in walk breaks. It was time really. Lord only knows how I had juice at the end to goose the last block.

Post run - I can't figure out my pace because I started my watch well before I started actually running and because of all those stop lights. Half my brain is freaking out. The part that doesn't care is starting to win but it's a process. (How is it only 65*? I am burning up!) Then I connected my iPod and loaded my run into the Nike+ website. Where I learned I won the "5 centuries challenge" I was in. And then I realized I might have to wait 'till October to get my freaking trophy. I say boo.


Ice bath - I hope I don't scare my neighbors when I scream. It's necessary to get into that thing.

Food - Chipotle for lunch (protein burrito!) and then a steak for dinner. It's a peace offering to my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment