18.4.10

Let's Take a Poll: What Should My Shirt Say?

It's been a rough week. Mercifully, it was a step-back week so I didn't miss too many miles. (Only about 2.5 miles short all told.) I use this training program but I've moved around the step back weeks to better fit my life. (here's part II of that schedule for anyone who's interested; it's what I used last year too.)

::Side note: I think they're training new people at my Chipotle because this burrito is not the same as normal....::

Thursday I worked a super short day (only five hours) which was great because I felt like I was going to die the entire day. Friday I spent basically on the couch. Bleh. Saturday I tried to run and was quickly reacquainted with the "10 minute rule". The 10 minute rule basically says that I should get up and go for a run and if I really feel that bad after 10 minutes, I can stop. In my early running days I had good luck using it as motivation to get myself out of bed because I always felt great once I got going. Not so on Saturday. Boooo.

Sunday I thought about running early but my body, once again, protested. I did have success finally in the afternoon when I did the elliptical for an hour at a 6mph pace (yes, that is a 10:00 mile). Thank goodness. My body feels like it's coming back to me now.

After the run I went to Target and picked out Deb and my Half Marathon shirts. We'll be in white this year. (One of the fun things about racing is trying to pick the color shirt that will be easiest for spectators to pick out of the crowd and cheer for you.) I've learned from my past racing experiences that writing your name on your shirt is highly advisable. It results in 13 miles (or 26 miles this fall) of people shouting "go Liz" instead of "good job runners" (or in some cases just a sedate "bravo"). I called Deb to make sure she understood that I would have a shirt for her and she asked me to write "I've never done this before, please cheer really loud" or "marathon virgin" on the shirt. I just want it down in writing that this was requested ahead of time. (Although, really, nothing can top the shirt that Robin got for Beth H last year with an huge "I'm turning 40 tomorrow" on the back of it.)

This brings me to my question.

Should I put "Liz" or "Alex" on the shirt I'm going to wear? Pretty much everyone reading this blog will know me as Liz but there was a time in my life (read: high school) where everyone called me Alex. I didn't even think about it until I realized I'd run into people from high school, or parents of people I went to school with who will still know me as Alex and I went them to cheer too. Actually almost everyone in Cincinnati will know me as Alex. Chris told me I should write Liz (a.k.a. Alex) on the front. I'm thinking about just writing "Minnesota" on the back. In Cincinnati that will be notable enough. Although, if I wrote "Flying Pig Virgin" on the back of Deb's shirt I could really write it on mine too.

Thoughts please.

2 comments:

  1. Here's my thought: I have finished your pajama pants, so it is now safe for you to come over and we can freezer-paper stencil those shirts together.

    OK, so not exactly helpful with the name choice, but it's Monday. You can't expect too much from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John is my FAVORITE cousin!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete