21.3.10

Weekend update

What have I been up to (besides not updating the blog?)

Thursday: I definitely worked on Thursday. At the end of the day I did the Hill Run again. It was easier and harder than the first time. When I first tried this route we were still in the major spring thaw and there were tons of puddles and ice flows every where. So it naturally broke the run into smaller pieces. This time, spring has thawed so there were fewer natural stopping points which meant longer intervals of running up hill. It also meant longer intervals of running down hill. Running fast down hill makes me smile.
When I got home Amanda called to say she got free tickets to Macbeth, not the most uplifting play I've ever seen. Amanda was mildly impressed when I said, 'oh is this the one where the witches go "double, double, toil and trouble"' and just rolled her eyes when I said 'that part is in trochaic tetrameter but the rest of the play is in iambic pentameter'. Thanks Walnut Hills and Ms. Mahin's 12th grade AP English class in particular.

Friday: OMFG I am going to die! I woke up with a migraine. I took some pretty strong drugs that killed the migraine but knocked me out for a while. I had one meeting at 2pm (I know, who schedules a meeting then?) at work which I did attend. The rest of the day I was on the couch.

Saturday: At 2am I woke up in immense pain. (Not a migraine but a related event.) At 3am I decided I couldn't plan to get up and run at 7:15am with the St Paul runners. (I felt like I'd be dead by then anyways.) So basically I was sick all day Saturday. More couch time.

Sunday: I woke up and thought, "oh, I have my body back". Sadly, since I'd been sick I didn't really have any good food to eat. I made myself a smoothie and that was my first (and really only) mistake for the day. I did wait a fair amount of time before going for a run. Sadly, it was not long enough. New rule for running: no smoothies before running. Ever.
I did try out my new shoes, the axiom 3 which is really like seeing an old friend again. I'm ready to declare the Dyad 5 a good shoe for someone else but they totally sucked for me. Those shoes gave me a blister on my left arch the entire time I owned them. (Wtf?) The only good memory I have of those shoes is coming up the street, seeing the Olympic stadium in Amsterdam at the end of the marathon and thinking, "damn, my feet don't hurt" (other than this blister the size of a pancake).
I am happy to have the normal shoes back. I don't know what's gonna happen the next time I need shoes because I don't think they're making these anymore.
I went to Lake Nokomis (also like seeing an old friend). It was packed because it's an awesome day for running. By the way, I passed a runner and that happens infrequently enough that it's notable. Sadly, the smoothie reared it's ugly head. After mile 4 I got fairly nauseous so I did intervals the rest of the way home. I did run up both hills.
It was about then that Amanda called me and said she wanted to go out for a drink tonight. I got my laundry done in a hurry and went to join her. She drank my beer. (In her defense, I told her to so that I could eventually drive myself home.) She kept checking her iPhone to see if the health care vote passed. We had a nice time at Pizza Luce and then I did drive myself home.

A second, completely entertaining thing that happened today? Remember when my neighbor seemingly set the building on fire trying to cook catfish? Me too. I refer to this guy as 'the chef' now. I kind of wanted this guys number ever since I met him. (It's just a phone number I don't have wedding plans.) When I got out to my car there was a piece of paper under the windshield. When I looked at it, it's a note saying 'sorry, I bumped into your car as I was backing out the other day, let me know if anything's damaged' and leaving a phone number. From The Chef. Amanda told me to call him and let him know that between hitting my car and setting the fire alarms off he owes me a beer at the very least. (I think I might.) My car's fine by the way.

I also found out this weekend that my old soccer coach died. He's also a teammate/friend's dad. (It's weird to be at an age when people's parents start to die.) It's the first time I really thought, 'huh, I wish I still lived in Cincinnati so I could go to this funeral'. I haven't seen the coach, or the friend really, since I graduated high school but he was really a nice guy and he did a lot for our soccer team.

Now, brief linkfest:
  • Annoying habits of your geeky spouse: You know, I thought I'd be guilty of some of these. Surprisingly it's Amanda who wins the geek award because she can only go about two seconds before pulling out the iPhone and Googling to see if I'm telling the truth about 'trochaic tetrameter' and any number of other things. (I'm always right.) I saw the iPhone a lot tonight. Sadly, I did not get to change Amanda's facebook status to something embarrassing awesome!.

  • Hardest thing about working on a PC. Hey, I'm tapping with two fingers, why isn't it doing anything?

  • Thank god I wasn't drinking this tonight! Or maybe that's what I should have had. Who can say?

No comments:

Post a Comment