14.2.10

dude, write on your blog....

Yeah, I've not written anything for a while. (Woops. Sorry about that.) But pairs figure skating is on tonight and that's not so interesting to me. (Show me the Luge and the speed skaters. Oooh, and the skiing.) So here I am.

Last week was my "rest week" for the marathon/half-marathon training. Is it called a rest week? Step back weeks? This is the schedule I use. I'm adapting the long runs because the Flying Pig comes way before I hit the 13 mile long runs in training. I'll make the long runs get longer faster but keep the weekly mileage the same. You may notice there are no 13 milers on that first training program. This is the second training program that I'll do this summer that has all the big long runs. (In the winter the only thing I remember is how much fun I had doing all those long runs.)

I started off this week right with a run at my favorite stomping grounds (dude, they plow it) with Beth. Thanks again for coming to Minneapolis and dragging my slow butt around the lake. We can cross the bridge anytime you want!

(Oooooh, speed skating, great.)

I then actually had to work today. (Funny story, so did Beth.) I was at work for a few hours, but it's snowing so I decided to drive home before it got bad. I may drag out the laptop and do some more work tonight. It was actually nice to be at the office for a while when it's totally quiet and there's no expectation to return emails or voice mails.

I stopped at Chipotle again. I think I'm trying to set a record for consecutive number of days I can eat Chipotle. A friend (who I guess will remain nameless unless they want to introduce themselves) showed me this calorie counting program for the iPhone (iPod Touch) to help people loose weight. I decided I'd give it a try. Mostly I just write down what I ate and how many calories are in it, and then how much exercise I did and how many calories it burned. There's some pre-programmed food in it (Chipotle is in there) and some pre-programmed exercises so there's less guessing.

Basically my little program told me if I ate 1700 calories per day instead of 2000 I'd loose a pound per week. And then I can add the calories I burn from exercise back into the calories I can eat for the day. Why'd I bring this up when talking about Chipotle? Turns out it's possible to eat Chipotle and still limit calories. Somehow it's not so hard to skip the last meal of the day when lunch was 900 calories.

I thought it would be interesting since I've never really tried to keep track of the food I eat. I also wanted to give it a go since I think it'd be easier to run faster if I was lighter. (Maybe I'll be able to keep up with Beth then.)

Other lessons learned:
  • My boss keeps all these chocolates in her office that I love to come in and eat. 45 calories per little piece can add up.

  • Sometimes it's worth the extra calories to eat the whole milk yogurt. It's almost always worth it.

  • I'm amazed at how much more full I feel after meals when I'm paying attention to what I eat.

  • Other than last week (when I felt like crap and didn't want to go grocery shopping) I ate way less crap when I had to think about what I was eating.

  • I don't always stay under 1700 calories (or under 2,000 when friends take me out and provide alcohol) and I've decided that's totally ok. I can look at this as a data gathering expedition and not see myself as a failure or needing to give up if I don't do exactly what the software tells me.

  • Speaking of, Beer has a lot of calories, more than my yogurt, or my eggs. But sometimes, it's yum.

  • Lentil soup is a bowl full of yum and fits well with this eat fewer calories thing.

  • It's much harder to count calories when I didn't prepare the food. The big chain restaurants are in this program, but the local restaurants (hello Chinese food) are not and food I eat at my friends' house is similarly missing. (Although you should all keep making me food.)

  • It's much easier to feel full when I run in the morning. (No, seriously, my body just uses food better the rest of the day. I can't explain it.)


(China has never won a figure skating gold medal? I am shocked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment