3.11.09

After all that...

After all that work I did figuring out how to vote, I almost forgot to actually do it.

Again, I took my mentee to the bus stop this morning. Early. And then I had to be in downtown St Paul at 8:15am. (Yeah, I laughed when I heard what time they wanted me too.) So I couldn't vote before work.

I didn't have breakfast either. Which pretty much set the tone for the day. I've been hungry ever since. Someone finally let me leave after 4:30p tonight. After trying to convince a someone from my office that netbooks are a waste of money for the way our staff use computers. (Sorry but the person they have picking out computers for us, it's like handing me some x-rays and asking me to diagnose a tumor.) I'm not sure it worked.

So I was exhausted when I got home, and even less likely to go out because it was raining. I made myself a pretty nice dinner (eggs, bacon, bagel, and roasted veggies) and was sitting enjoying it when I thought...

"Oh %#@&!"...I haven't voted yet. Which I left immediately to do.

The results of my first Ranked Choice Voting (also known as Instant Runoff Voting) experience: I'll tell you about it the week before Christmas when my vote is finally counted. The ballots were fine, easy to use, the same as the ones from the previous years. It was more the homework I had to do ahead of time picking who to vote, although I probably would have had to do a similar amount of homework because I was picking people I'd never heard of for offices I didn't even know existed (hello Board of Estimation and Taxation). And now I'm here typing and wearing my "I voted" sticker which is really the main reason I vote.

1 comment:

  1. As an owner of a netbook, let me say that you are right. Netbooks should not be used as a substitute for a real computer. They are useful for very limited situations, imho. Mine is great for taking notes in class, or doing homework at the coffeeshop. But I could never use it as my only home (or work) computer. And I would pull out all my hair if someone wanted me to.

    Pros: small, lightweight, easily portable.
    Cons: very small screen (and I have a 10"), usually a pretty slow hard drive as well.

    That being said, I love my netbook. But then again, we replaced the standard hard drive with a $225 one. So add that to the cost of the netbook originally ($399), and that's what it takes to make a netbook in such a way that you won't lose your mind trying to use it.

    I'm serious. It was so painfully slow before the new hard drive. It was ONLY good for taking notes in class. Now I can at least... read my email and stuff.

    ReplyDelete