4.2.08

I want this day to be over

I am tired and grumpy. I want this day to be over. And I want my condo back in one piece. I'm not going to get the second wish anytime soon. Why not? Remember on Saturday when my contractor came in and I told him that I hadn't talked to the flooring people? Apparently there was a miscommunication there. The floor needs to be installed before the stove can be installed. The stove and the countertop need to go in at approximately the same time and the counter needs to be down before they can tile. Seriously. My kitchen is now a jigsaw puzzle.

Here's my day:
8:00ish Wake up. I am surprisingly well rested. That's good. Make a call before leaving Amanda's house to verify that I can start the morning with a visit to someone I need to see.
8:45 Try to do visit. In defence of the people I called, he was there. He just wasn't feeling well and was asleep. Woops. I didn't wake him up.
9:00 Get to work and the chaos begins.
11:20 Determine that I don't want to drive in the snow and call the client I was meant to be seeing in ten minutes to make alternate arrangements. Now I get to start calling home care agencies and tell them a client wants to move to a different agency. Normally this is less than pleasant but at least the phone calls are short. Three phone calls later, from the same person, I was just done talking to them. Nothing really got resolved from their end. I felt really bad because I know there's a whole culture thing happening that makes the business owners want me to know they do a good job. But after three phone calls I just lost patience. That all ended sometime around 2:00.
3:45 Make a beeline for the door. I have to go meet a tile guy.
4:10 The snow did not screw up traffic as bad as I feared. I got home, talked to my contractor and then called my parents.
4:30 Tile guy shows up. The ultimate recommendation (I am in agreement) is limestone tile. I think it's very much my personality. The other recommendation was "subway" tile which is the 3x6 rectangles that are slightly offset from each other. Ha. You think I can handle a rectangle? I need four sides of equal length. Tile guy also highly recommended the bamboo floor I picked out. Good thing too because it's going to take forever for it to get installed. I think it takes like a week or two for them to order it. I wonder how quickly they can get over to my house. And how much work I'm going to have to miss this time.
6:00 Here I am at Chipotle again. I miss being able to cook.
6:30 Get to Amanda's house and am strongly encouraged to check for any outstanding snow emergencies. The internet is slow but I find none. Then I decide to find out where my caucus is, in case I want to vote tomorrow. The website declines to provide that or any other useful information. So I called my parents again.

I have negotiated with my contractor to have a relatively empty living room and bedroom in the near future as well as a microwave and refrigeration. Exciting. Although I still miss my stove top. I wonder if I can plug in my toaster oven somewhere. Hmmm. And the blender. Maybe I could let Amanda test my blender while I'm without a kitchen. Then she would understand the value...

I have mixed emotions about moving home. I want to go back for all the obvious reasons. But I've really enjoyed having someone to talk with at the end of the night and the shorter commute to work (but mostly the having someone else to hand out with at the end of the night). Plus my apartment is still a construction zone and mildly depressing.

I'm tired and cranky. And of all the things on my to-do list for the next little while, I'd like you to know that "shower" is not one of them. Don't worry. Probably tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment